OT rant, iphone

I read some figures today, for Q3 2011 the iPhone accounted for 15.0% of smart phone sales but 66% of smart phone profits.

draw your own conclusions from that.

Reply to
keithr

for nix.

Apple service is far superior from anything I have experienced in the past excluding Japan.

Can you get a replacement phone on the spot under warranty with the android phones?

Nokia takes hours just to see a tech.

I have owned smart phones since O2 Atoms and before that, PPC.

What is it you can do on any of these that you are unable to do on the others?

I have all my MP3 on my iPhone and it has not been jail broken.

I try not to be a iwanker but after a fault and dealing with their service department I may replace some PC's with Apples in the future.

--
:-P
Reply to

Is that what they make from app sales - iTunes?

--
:-P
Reply to

for nix.

**I've owned cell 'phones since 1991. I've never required service for any of them. Of course, I've never owned an Apple product. Perhaps they need frequent service. One could argue that, at the price demanded by Apple, they can afford to replace them.
**I've owned several Nokias. Outside battery replacement (which, unlike iPhones, can be performed by the owner), I've never needed to have one serviced. They don't go wrong.
**Who gives a crap? I use a 'phone for (gasp!) making 'phone calls. Anything else is just bling.
**More the fool you.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Don't believe the hype is Public Enemy mate. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

atec77 wrote in news:j9qekk$soa$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I had jailbroken my phone but now it's not once again. The only thing I miss is call and SMS filtering.

--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs
Reply to
CatharticF1

F Murtz wrote in news:hv2wq.5951$ snipped-for-privacy@viwinnwfe01.internal.bigpond.com:

I dislike a lot of things about Apple and had jailbroken my handset for an extended period. I have a huge music collection but have only ever bought one or two songs from iTunes. What I can tell you is that amongst the technorati (podcasts and blogs etc I pay attention to) Apple are partly reviled and partly admired. But the truth is that most reviewing this field choose the iPhone. It just works, it's at the front or nearabouts in major features, the apps are far too many and typically cheap, many are free and the product itself is the best.

But it is overpriced, yes. And it is locked down, though that provides benefits in use because there is less that can be configured by you or apps.

If you like Windows (I presume the old 6.5 yeah?) then get Windows Phone

  1. There are plenty of handsets and they are cheaper than an iPhone and if you're not into apps or music you'll probably be very happy.
--
CatharticF1

I can't resist no crossing signs
Reply to
CatharticF1

e.

ne.

no

ter

fer

ems

For once we agree on something.

Reply to
kreed

ine

e,

oads

and.

puter for nix.

ast

roid

I can't say that I have had a problem with any phone I have had either, except a LG one where the screen got broken when I fell over.

MY Wife's Nokia dropped dead last year. Out of warranty, not worth mucking about with. Got an identical one, new off ebay for about $80 including postage. Was here in 2 days.

Exactly. Do I phone's have internal batteries that cant be replaced by the owner (easily) ?

I guess this is to ensure that you cant remove the battery and stop the GPS running so they can continue to track you and spy on you even when you turn it off ?

Shouldn't even have to mention this - MP3 is pretty much the universal format for music these days, and anything that doesn't play them these days is an absolute joke.

ice

I think I would stick to the PC's, more commonly used, replacement parts of any spec you want available just about anywhere for very competitive prices, motherboards, processors, video cards etc. If something dies, replace it and keep working. No need to stuff around trying to get serviced if you don't live near a repair centre. There are PC repair places even in many small towns.

Just about any windows app will run on PC's without hassles, and stuff that doesn't, there is heaps of knowledge out there in Google to help you with whatever you want to do with them.

Reply to
kreed

He did say "smart phone sales" so one could concur that only sales of the iPhone itself are being measured.

--

Krypsis
Reply to

kreed wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@g27g2000pre.googlegroups.com:

No. Why would someone bag a company for providing (fantastic) service?

After talking about the easy service I got with my iphone fault I heard that people have had BROKEN screens replaced on warranty.

Prior to iphone I had a Nokia N97, that I sent back for repair and was replaced with a new one just as bad. Still have it. I liked the FM transmitter for MP3 but now use bluetooth anyway.

I have not messed about with a mobile battery since....... the O2, apart from having to remove it to insert remove the SIM.

Why would one want to service their own phone? I just want it to work.

Who are they? [looking for foil hat]

Only bling if you are waving it about. I have used camera on phones transfer to pc since infared was the go. Outlook maybe not as long but unable to live without. I also love having music wherever I go without rings on my fingers and bells on my toes. Email is noice. Maps handy. Tapnews is a great time filler... usenet.

But you are right..... there is a lot of bling about, on all the "smart" phones now.

Agree, but I did because it was my biggest concern about getting an iphone.

:-)

This is the thing. Ten years ago I would have been on my hands and knees under a desk pulling out hard drives or whatever. Now I can't be bothered. My time is worth more than that.

Yes. Same with the phones. The thing is with the iphone most of the apps are mad for the market the phone is promoted, and it aint smart.

Neither is bagging a product just because of the brand name.

--
:-P
Reply to

Krypsis wrote in news:4ec36d0d$0$13392$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

After reading

and the two comments found at the bottom I would assume that the above is a misquote and should be something like...

52% is smartphone profits. 4.2% is mobile phone sales.

That is two different markets.

--
:-P
Reply to

Peter wrote: ...

This makes "Jobs sense". A couple years back you could buy iPhones (various models) with cracked screen (but maybe still "working") for $60 on ebay.

I got a couple to make a couple aps and they worked fine for that purpose. (The public sources for the development system was another matter).

So to keep the prices up it makes sense to curtail this kind of "back market" by simply replacing parts that probably only cost the maker $10 per to make, install and ship.

--
Scientists are always changing their story and as a Conservative, I
have no tolerance for ambiguity.  It proves that all science is lies

Although it was not explicitly stated, the article seemed to be talking about handset sales only.

Reply to
keithr

**I'll say again: In more than 20 years of mobile 'phone ownership, I've never had to find out how good (or bad) the back up service is for the following companies: NEC Nokia LG Samsung Sony Ericcson

I've owned 'phones from all these companies (and several from some companies) and NEVER had a problem with any of them. Most of my old 'phones have gone to family members and are still operating just fine. Apple may provide excellent back-up service. They probably need to. They can certainly afford it, given their rip-off pricing.

**Woo-hoo. My Nokia has been dropped more times than I care to think about. Never missed a beat. No broken screen, nothing. Just keeps working.
**Replacing a battery is something I expect (and all reasonable people) expect to be able to do on any portable product. Regardless of the brand, batteries remain a weak point of any portable device. Sadly, Apple don't seem to realise this fact.
**Battery replacement is hardly a 'service'. Do you send you TV remote out for service, when the batteries require replacement?
**And battery replacement is just one of those things. I always carry a spare battery for my 'phone, when I'm out. I always carry a spare battery for my screwdriver/drill too. Making a battery swap difficult is a sign of bad design.
**Yep.

-- Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson

Trevor Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

snipped-for-privacy@g27g2000pre.googlegroups.com

NEC, were hopeless. Nokia still are. No idea about LG except their TV's suck. I owned a Samsing phone once, never again. Had to pull the plug to stop the synch software that came with it deleting my contacts. Terrible. I have never owned a Sony. Ericcson, used to have a couple of week turn around but have no idea how long now. Motorolla used to supply loan phones to telstra and service mobile around Broadmedows somewhere.... are they still made without screws?

That is fantastic! A lot of your family members use used mobiles?

Is it a ripp off? I like service.

I have been told replacement screens can cost a couple of hundred dollars for some Nokias.

I dropped my latest iphone in a full bucket of water and had to fish it out, still working. Whats your point? Woo-hoo?

Ok. Now would you sell a smart phone on ebay? I wouldn't.

Reads like they can get a flat battery. ;-)

That is so last mellenium. I now expect my devices to last. Simple. If they are unable to last then I expect to be able to charge easily in my car, others car, any USB and most homes. Very simple.

Do they need them?

It was clarified that servicing a Nokia (apart from battery) above. ;-) Plug and play boys. Not multiple batterys and desktop chargers. So 80's!

I would have thought making a battery swap unnecessary was a good design point.

Should I be alert or alarmed?

With SMART phones I think some should remember, just because you could doesn't mean you should.

Personally I don't see putting all of ones data into a mobile device that is connected to multiple wirelss networks to be so smart. People said that about PC's though.

--
:-P
Reply to

snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

That's a strange question and I fail to see the relevance

Where else are you going to sell a phone when you no longer want it ? Take it to cash converters or advertise it in the classifieds or trading post, trade it in (if you can these days) and get nothing for it ?

As for buying a phone, would I have been better off buying the identical phone from Telstra etc for $200 odd (at the time) and just toss away $120 - especially to grubs like them ?

What if you are away from a power source for a length of time, or in an emergency or disaster ? what about when the battery reaches the end of its useful life ?

What are you doing on a tech forum ??

They do, as batteries frequently do not last as long as the life of the device, particularly if they are used a lot, and discharged / recharged a lot .

Once they fail to hold enough charge for reasonable amount of usage time, its time to replace the batteries.

One or more spare batteries, and ability to change them without difficulty are vital if you are going to spend any time away from power sources for charging, If there is an emergency It could save a life.

so how do you charge your fancy phone then, still needs a charger, and any sort of charging dock is essentially a desktop charger.

Battery swap is always necessary eventually

- its just a matter of time how long it takes until it is needed. Batteries in these sort of situations only last a certain number of charge cycles - fail to hold enough charge eventually and need to be replaced.

Maybe you need to read up on apple caught logging user location data and forwarding it to Apple. It is a breach of the users privacy and rights to privacy. Even putting aside the bad uses of this sort of technology by bent governments and authorities, I do not want corporations logging data, logging keywords from calls, SMS (or conversations even off the phone) of where I go, when and where I shop, what I buy, How much, how often, and this being onsold to other companies to help them con me into buying more crap I do not want through "targeted advertising", unsolicited calls, spam and junk mail.

I wonder what on earth you are doing on a tech forum, you sound more like an average consumer to me with little tech knowledgs.

Reply to
kreed

kreed wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@s35g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Think about data security. Also, there is software that can be installed on mobiles that are more than key loggers, they trace your location and allow third parties to listen in to your telephone calls and see your sms/emails. I would not sell a smart phone on ebay as I nwould be worried about the data be retrieved.

I wouldn't. Read above.

I hate Tel$tra now but this does raise a point. You can spend $80 on a second hand mobile with no warrenty and no service. For an extra $120 you get peice of mind that an out of box fault would be addressed and any other faults would be addressed over the next twelve months. You are not even saving half the price, risking your security and *

I am often. I charge with my motorcycle (power source).

As I wrote before, that is so last mellenium. How many decades do you keep your mobiles for anyway? Contracts are usually 24 months now, this is also the same time period mobiles are deducted my the ATO so it makes sence to replace them. It does not make sence to put used smart phones on ebay, purchase smart phones from ebay or to bag others that simple use one product over another.

  • When I did repair mobiles on a contract basis for the likes of Tel $ra/Optus/Erricson/Nokia/NEC/Motorrola one thing that disgusted me was how dirty they get. But you would know this, as you place your second hand mobile to your face and your family are pressing third hand mobiles to their face....

So last mellenium. Phones are replaced before the above becomes an issue. Just like cars!

Wrong, Its time to replace the phone. You need to go over your math again. ;-)

Why would one need a spare battery if one has the ability to charge? There are so many ways to charge a mobile now days I feel the above is a none issue. Take a laptop and charge off that!

You have me sold!

No. A desktop charger (in mobile telephone terms) has always been optional equipment that allows the ability to charge more than one battery at a time.

You are wrong. To prove this, look at how many other devices no longer have the battery swap option. Things are no longer made to last ten years. Look at the houses going up or the cars driving around. It is cheaper to buy a new one. Expecially with the help of the ATO. I am not saying this is a good thing, but it is fact.

So last mellenium.

I have read about that. It took two days I think Apple to come up with a fix. The purpose of the file was for the use of other applications. Data was never sent back to Apple. The problem with the file was it was easily accessed (even on the PC) and this in turn allowed others to see where one has been. I put it to you that all platforms have the capability of doing this.

:-) Sounds like a great reason to be on a tech forum. What is your point?

Reply to
Peter

I was wondering about that... Ice T doesn't sound black to me.

Reply to
Jeßus

Best phone is an old style nokia, although the Philips is not bad either. Makes calls, sms are not a worry , goes a week or more between charges (the Phillips is a month) is small and because they cost so little are less likely to get damaged or dropped overboard. Smart phones are cumbersome and fragile. Tried a n97 for a year or so but got sick of the battery life and it now is sitting on the desk unused, replaced by a Nokia classic. When I'm on hollidays (Oz) I have a nokia with the GPS and web but it is still the small form factor. I live a rough and tumble life nd big heavy phones get busted too easily, I couldn't imagine being on a 2 year plan.

--
Brad Leyden
6° 43.5816' S 146° 59.3097' E  WGS84