OT: Power outage. - Page 2

Re: OT: Power outage.

The grounding is elsewhere.

I now suspect that three are the stator windows. The resistance between
any two of the three is about the same (5 ohms). They're isolated from
the other two, which have about 1 ohm between them. I suspect those are
connected to a field winding, with the permanent magnets only present so
that the thing can bootstrap itself.

Given the thickness of the black wires (thicker than mains cable, but
not so very thick), the resistance of the windings, and the total power
output (2.6kW) I think these must run at a fairly high voltage, which
seems to make finding a suitable off-the-shelf inverter somewhat more
difficult.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Power outage.
snipped-for-privacy@not.at.this.address says...

 A guess maybe, the 3 blacks are your 3 phase out and the whites are the
field excitation.

Jamie

Re: OT: Power outage.
   Lightning? Massive "urban redevelopment" glitches?
   AKA large over-voltage on steroids..
   Guess something like that initially, which zapped not only your
stuff,but theirs as well.

Re: OT: Power outage.

Nor really. It does make sense to attempt an estimate even when
you don't know what the problem is because some do need estimates
and it is possible to do better than nothing based on how long its taken
in the past to fix something when it wasn't known what the problem is.

That's unusual with a brownout, to trash a PC power supply.

Not surprising given that it had visible flames.

It'd be pretty unusual for such a small fire as that
outside the house to burn down the entire house.

And they will make an obscene gesture
in your general direction, I bet.

Re: OT: Power outage.

Ha!  My aunt's home burned down when the outside AC unit capacitor
caught fire.  That's all it took to catch the siding on fire and the
whole house.  They never recovered from that...

Sounds like you don't really know anything about it.

--

Rick

Re: OT: Power outage.

Its very unusual for a whole house to get lost like that.

They have already done that.

Re: OT: Power outage.

I don't know what you base this on.  Once any fire starts, there is
nothing to stop it from consuming the entire house until the fire
department arrives...

Rick

Re: OT: Power outage.

What has caused houses to burn down.

That is just plain wrong too. There is MUCH less that
can burn on the outside of most houses, most obviously
with brick and fibro houses and small fires like that
usually do burn themselves out without setting fire
to the house when they happen outside too.

Re: OT: Power outage.

And it isn't fire?

Don't know what "fibro" is, but yes, brick doesn't burn.  However a
small percentage of homes are brick.  This house was vinyl sided, an all
too common siding.

--

Rick

Re: OT: Power outage.

Not when its as small a fire as that outside the house very often at all.

http://onelook.com/?w=fibro

Bullshit.

So yours are povs.

Brick is MUCH more common, fibro in spades with povs.

Re: OT: Power outage.

Fibro = old = lots of fluff in cavities + well dried and decay  = fire
spreads easily.

Re: OT: Power outage.

How big a fire can you get out of 7 litres of petrol going up?

Why?

Do you think they don't care about such things.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Power outage.

A neighbor's car battery shorted out in her carport.  Fire Department
came and extinguished the (small) fire.

But, actually, they *didn't*.  Some time later, the rest of the house
caught fire and burned to the ground.  AFAICT, the city paid to have
the house rebuilt (a friend moved into it after the original neighbor
"lost" it).

Poorly tended "campfires", smoking in the woods, etc. periodically set
blazes that grow to tens of thousands of acres, here.

Re: OT: Power outage.

That?s an entirely different situation to a fire in a domestic
yard ending up with the entire house burning down.

Re: OT: Power outage.

Not normally enough to see the whole house burn down.

Because there isnt anything useful they can do about it.

In the sense that there isnt anything useful they can
do about it, yep.

Re: OT: Power outage.

They can order a recall.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Power outage.

They arent going to do that, you watch.

Re: OT: Power outage.

You are just talking through your hat.  You know no more about this that
anyone else.  There may very well already *be* a recall on this unit.

--

Rick

Re: OT: Power outage.

We'll see...

Wrong, as always.

I do know that NO portable generators have ever
been recalled because they happen to have the
petrol line going thru that area in the generator.

There isnt.

Re: OT: Power outage.

Rod doesn't wear a hat.

Site Timeline