OT: Power outage.

General guestimate time given out by person answering the telephone, meanwhile tech is testing various legs and switching back on those that test safe.

Reply to
news13

Sylvia Else wrote

Nor really. It does make sense to attempt an estimate even when you don't know what the problem is because some do need estimates and it is possible to do better than nothing based on how long its taken in the past to fix something when it wasn't known what the problem is.

That's unusual with a brownout, to trash a PC power supply.

Not surprising given that it had visible flames.

It'd be pretty unusual for such a small fire as that outside the house to burn down the entire house.

And they will make an obscene gesture in your general direction, I bet.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Sylvia Else wrote

You never see that many of them when the normal mains supply to the area goes missing.

You sure you didn't just lose a single phase and have more than one phase in the house ?

Nothing special about Sydney in that regard.

Its unlikely that the solar panels were keeping the voltage up enough to get that result. There just arent enough of them to do that and they are required to stop feeding the grid when the mains goes missing. If the voltage did drop enough to kill one of the PC power supplys, it should have been enough to stop the solar panels feeding the grid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Ha! My aunt's home burned down when the outside AC unit capacitor caught fire. That's all it took to catch the siding on fire and the whole house. They never recovered from that...

Sounds like you don't really know anything about it.

--

Rick
Reply to

As I said, in the quoted sentence just following, we have two phases.

That's partly what made it confusing. I thought that we'd lost one phase, and that the illuminated appliances were on the other - so, simple short term fix; extension lead to the supposedly working phase. Didn't work. Scratches head.

Some places in the world have different arrangements.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

How big a fire can you get out of 7 litres of petrol going up?

Why?

Do you think they don't care about such things.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

A neighbor's car battery shorted out in her carport. Fire Department came and extinguished the (small) fire.

But, actually, they *didn't*. Some time later, the rest of the house caught fire and burned to the ground. AFAICT, the city paid to have the house rebuilt (a friend moved into it after the original neighbor "lost" it).

Poorly tended "campfires", smoking in the woods, etc. periodically set blazes that grow to tens of thousands of acres, here.

Reply to
Don Y

Its very unusual for a whole house to get lost like that.

They have already done that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Not normally enough to see the whole house burn down.

Because there isnt anything useful they can do about it.

In the sense that there isnt anything useful they can do about it, yep.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That?s an entirely different situation to a fire in a domestic yard ending up with the entire house burning down.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They can order a recall.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I don't know what you base this on. Once any fire starts, there is nothing to stop it from consuming the entire house until the fire department arrives...

--

Rick
Reply to

How much of the house normally burn down.

Of course they can. I recommend the OP contacts the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Best to directly contact one of the commissioners. Anything that comes from them gets *attention*!

--

Rick
Reply to

They arent going to do that, you watch.

Reply to
Rod Speed

What has caused houses to burn down.

That is just plain wrong too. There is MUCH less that can burn on the outside of most houses, most obviously with brick and fibro houses and small fires like that usually do burn themselves out without setting fire to the house when they happen outside too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Fuck all with such a small fire outside the house, normally none in fact.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

Bet nothing will come from them on that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And it isn't fire?

Don't know what "fibro" is, but yes, brick doesn't burn. However a small percentage of homes are brick. This house was vinyl sided, an all too common siding.

--

Rick
Reply to

You are just talking through your hat. You know no more about this that anyone else. There may very well already *be* a recall on this unit.

--

Rick
Reply to

Not when its as small a fire as that outside the house very often at all.

Bullshit.

So yours are povs.

Brick is MUCH more common, fibro in spades with povs.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We'll see...

Wrong, as always.

I do know that NO portable generators have ever been recalled because they happen to have the petrol line going thru that area in the generator.

There isnt.

Reply to
Rod Speed