OT: Master Instruments Multimeter specification and schematic

Many here will know the name Master Instruments Pty. Ltd. Back in the era of analogue measuring instruments they made very good meter movements and even produced a general purpose field multimeter for use by the PMG Dept and the defence forces. As supplied to the PMG it was designated APO Multimeter No. 3 and when supplied to the military it was designated Multimeter No. 4. I recall that in the 1950's to mid 60's there were earlier iterations dubbed APO No.1 and No.2.

I have an APO No.3 which was originally supplied to an engineer mate of mine back in 1971 at a total cost of $68.50 without the carrying case. A leather carrying case was added later.

Since I wanted to have some manufacturers literature on this meter I prevailed upon Master Instruments to supply me with whatever documentation they may have retained, but I was not expecting anything. I was rather pleasantly surprised when they were able to supply a copy of the specification and a schematic. Master Instruments no longer manufacture analog meters (or any other kind), and

95% of their business these days consists of supplying batteries.

Unfortunately, the quality of the documentation was not good enough for printing with any degree of clarity so I have retyped the original specification in Word format and added a hand drawn schematic of the meter.

If anyone would like a copy of this documentation feel free to email me for a copy.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

and

printing

**Great service. I found the same thing with Iwatsu. I required a schematic to track a fault in a 100MHz Iwatsu CRO a few years back. An email to Japan elicited an instant response with a full manual in .pdf form.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to

of

en

he

o. 3

ecall

o.1 and

ine

er

ailed

have

rised

.

), and

rinting

n Word

or a

Hello Ross. I have a No. 2 bought from a surplus shop in Albury Wadonga in the early 90's. I've given it a fair bit of use but have never had the bene fit of resistance measurement as I've never known what batteries to use. Co nsequently I've mostly had a digital multi meter as well. I'm studying elec tronics - an elective as part of a teaching degree this semester and I want to improve its utility on my test bench by adding some batteries to it. Ca n you advise on what may be still available. I see you can still get the 15 v dry cells for the English AVO's but their dimensions don't fit those of m y No. 2's battery compartment, which has two different types of battery (po ssibly 3 cells). Also, if the schematic for the No. 3 relates in any way to the No. 2 - I'd love a copy of that. If you can still find it in your comp uter after all this time?

Thank you Kind regards Gilbert Louttit

Reply to
gilbert.louttit

** I note you are responsible for this page too:

From the pics, it looks exceptionally well made.

From the specs or your own testing, can your say what the frequency response of the 10VAC range is like ?

Is the 400uA movement "Taut Band" ??

Protected from overload by reverse parallel diodes ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison