NBN verses 4G. Is there a contest?

4G IS HERE: Telstra?s 2011 rollout. February 14, 2011

The nation?s largest telco Telstra has revealed plans to upgrade its Next G mobile network in central business districts around the nation to the Long-Term Evolution (LTE) standard by the end of 2011, introducing the ?4G? or fourth generation marketing term into the Australian market as it is doing so.

From the Comments: If you did radio telecommunications engineering, you would realise that the amount of spectrum available for 4G services would probably be able to give everyone 100mbit speeds uncongested, even in high density areas. In fact its even in the

4G standard to use much more spectrum available (which you can see here

Furthermore, 4G has numerous benefits over 3G (not including being able to use more spectrum)

- It can jump to different spectrum bands ?instantly?, which is what allows 4G to download so much faster

- It has much higher spectral efficiency (that is, it is able to deliver much more bits per spectrum, i.e.

- It uses topologies much better then 3G

- It uses leveraging of spectrum to provide much better latency then 3G (this is already evident by Verizon?s deployment, which cut latency by average in half)

Cheers Don...

==========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

Over to you Roddles, debunking time. Or to put it another way, time for pork with a hole in it.

Reply to
SG1

mobile network in central business districts

introducing the ?4G? or fourth

amount of spectrum available for 4G services

high density areas. In fact its even in the

more spectrum)

to download so much faster

more bits per spectrum, i.e.

is already evident by Verizon?s

There will never be enough radio spectrum to give everyone high speed access.

Reply to
Barry OGrady

mobile network in central business districts

2011, introducing the ?4G? or fourth

amount of spectrum available for 4G services

high density areas. In fact its even in the

use more spectrum)

4G to download so much faster

more bits per spectrum, i.e.

is already evident by Verizon?s

It will Never replace existing Broadband as a Primary contender.

Just like Solar and Wind Power Generator. It's nice to have but will never replace anything.

Reply to
son of a bitch

mobile network in central business districts

introducing the ?4G? or fourth

amount of spectrum available for 4G services

high density areas. In fact its even in the

more spectrum)

to download so much faster

more bits per spectrum, i.e.

is already evident by Verizon?s

Reply to
Jack Simms

Master Who wrote

Yep.

Nothing like, actually.

Not a shred of evidence that you are actually capable of thought.

Yes, but even someone as stupid as you will eventually notice that the wireless bases just happened to be connected by fiber optic and that you will never be able to deliver hundreds of TV channels via wireless.

Some did, actually.

Wrong, as always. We know that there just isnt enough bandwith with wireless alone.

He never ever said anything like that either, fool.

Having fun thrashing that straw man, child ?

Reply to
Rod Speed

In five years time will you still say that?

Like IBM and the first computers I think history will tell it differently.

You can't stop trechnology.

No one saw thwe internet comming and no one knows where the future will be.

If you believe wireless has no future then you are truly a caveman.

Reply to
Dr Who

?4G?

allows

It is a business, not a charity

B J Foster

Wireless Broadband is for Yuppies with Phones or Use Laptops on a Bus. So yes, I will still say that in 5 Years

Reply to
son of a bitch

rm

=3D=3D=3D=3D

While you have Telstra involved, it will be like having a new Ferrari, that becomes speed limted to the level of a pushbike after you drive it more than 10k a month. In other words, totally useless.

Total waste of time in this non-competitive profit bloated market. In more advanced countries - it would be great.

Reply to
kreed

If the video at:

is to be believed, it is about 3 times as fast as my 3G USB modem, but only about half the speed of my slow Optus cable at 19061 kbps.

Vividwireless comes in at around 9000-10000 kbps. But for the mobile generation, WOW!

Wireless is the fastest growing internet comms method, but it appears to be up against a few technology hurdles.

BTW Can't wait to test a 4G modem for my "MOBILE" travels.

Cheers Don...

========================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

kreed wrote

access.

How odd that NextG isnt.

How odd that NextG isnt.

Its great here too.

And will put a bomb under Optarse just like 3G did too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It is also a way to provide broadband to an entire suburb, instantly, cheaply and without unsightly wires and poles.

*If* there is a case for FTTP then there is a case *first* wireless, then FTTP. The cost/benefit is massively in favour of wireless and in no way does it exclude doing FTTP later.

The real problem to be solved is how to dismiss this idiot Labor government that is wasting $49.5b of our money.

Actually, if Telstra employs the $11b (ROTFL) to implement LTE, then you can't truly say it is "wasted", can you?

Labor idiots.

Reply to
B J Foster

What would bother me, is the patchy coverage. I suspect the distance around each repeater is quite short.

4G Bases will still need a optic fibre connections and its speed will be determined by distance and will only be in major centres While handy for those that can access it, it won't replace the need for the NBN. It will compete with the need for a landline in the Cities or major regional centres. These areas though are where it's economic for Telstra to provide landline, though outskirts of these centres it becomes less profitable

-- Petzl Is Gillard Australian? Is Abbott? Robert Wood was elected in 1987 to take his seat in the Senate in 1988 The High Court, in its decision In Re Wood ((1988)167 CLR 145),declared Wood s election to be invalid, as he was not an Australian citizen at the time of his election.

Reply to
Petzl

Really?

Nope.

That is Telstra's choice.

The guvmint's choice is *also* to provide broadband in major centre where there are ample providers already. Why? Labor idiots.

What is the need for the NBN?

How does a *need* compete?

Have you idiots any idea how big this country is? Try to venture a little west of Paramatta, Penrith will do to start with.

High Court, in its decision In Re Wood ((1988)167 CLR 145),declared Wood s election to be invalid, as he was not an Australian citizen at the time of his election.

Even the Muzzies are smarter than you

Reply to
B J Foster

up against a few technology hurdles.

each repeater is quite short.

True. My travels are generally in areas that would be well populated, and hopefully will receive good coverage.

Looks like we will find out about 4G very soon, as Optus and others are getting aboard.

LTE? We?ve got that too, say Optus, VHA

Cheers Don...

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/ics.html

Bare Proto PCB for PIC or AVR projects?
"I'd buy that for a Dollar!".
Reply to
Don McKenzie

B J Foster wrote

yes, I will still say that in 5 Years

Nothing even remotely resembling anything like instantly or an entire suburb either.

Another pig ignorant lie. You still need the bases and the antennas fool.

Nope, because wireless is almost universal now where there is any population at all.

Pity about the bandwidth that nothing can be done about.

Wireless is already done, fool.

that is wasting $49.5b of our money.

That last is a lie.

They aint gunna spend anything like that on it and wont be getting the $11B either when the ACCC kills it.

It is if no one much uses it and they mostly use the NBN and the current broadband instead.

Reply to
Rod Speed

N wrote

up against a few technology hurdles.

You have no idea if that will be the case or not.

You're wrong.

Reply to
Rod Speed