Lat/Long co-ords

=_NextPart_000_011E_01C58908.B3AF9720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Mark,

Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords of the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is experimental and keeps changing.

Mitchell......

Reply to
Mitch

Could've sworn I said *precisely* that the other day! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Dave wroteCould've sworn I said *precisely* that the other day! :->

But it doesn't work! :-( Fred

Reply to
fred

Are you with Telstra?

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

No mate, does that make a difference? I was fascinated by that lat/long no. idea, and most disappointed that it didn't work...

Reply to
fred

It does not currently work. I am with Telstra and get an SMS reply saying that it is an experimental service and not accessible but if I am in trouble I should ring 000.

Reply to
David Segall

Yes it does matter, as I mentioned in my original post linked above, it is (was?) a Telstra service so only available to telstra mobile customers.

A $100 GPS will get you a much more accurate Lat/Long than any such mobile service will :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

012 is better than 000 on a mobile!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Doh! Better make that 112!

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

I don't see why 112 is "better" than 000 since they both result in the same destination unless you mean that it is better to train yourself to use 112 because it is universal. In any case, I was quoting from Telstra's SMS.

Reply to
David Segall

=_NextPart_000_0008_01C58A6D.6B8D5520 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

See also

Sending a blank SMS to 1715678 used to give you the Lat/Long co-ords = of the nearest mobile tower, although I've heard the service is experimental and keeps changing.

Mitchell......

Reply to
Anna Aicehy

I believe, if you lose network coverage from your home provider, 000 wont work .. however 112 will work if you are within range of ANY network coverage ..

ie, if your with vodafone, and leave a vodafone coverage area, 000 won't work, where 112 will work if you are within say telstras's coverage area..

--

-- [ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ] [

]

Reply to
Lord-Data

no.

Hi Dave. Sorry! I thought you meant did I work for Telstra, and the answer to that is no. But yes I have a Telstra service but there's no result to the number.

Reply to
fred

Not only that, 112 will work without a SIM card or even if the phone is locked. In other words you could turn on a unconcious victims phone & use it without knowing any PIN or other security number. It is a world wide standard.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

As long as you aren't using a CDMA as the 112 doesn't always apply to CDMA networks, only 000 (my CDMA phone doesn't recognise 112 and neither does the network).. Hmm, now you'd think they'd make just one 'standard', wouldn't you? ;-)

Reply to
Marty1

no.

no.

Sorry all! Must have been sending a "blank" email that wasn't. It works now and gives the lat/long (a bit wildly though - sill checking)

Reply to
fred

no.

no.

Reply to
fred

=_NextPart_000_00E8_01C58BDC.A7822F40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Note: In THE SIMPSONS , The stonecutters use 112!

Reply to
Mark

In the original version of the Simpsons in the US it was 912.

-- Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yep, definitely not 112, as 912.