L7663 Power Useage meter

Hi All,

I've just had one of these $69.95 L7663 meters delivered from Planet Earth Solar.

I've just been trying it with combinations of 60W desk lamps and 7W (nominal) nightlights.

The 60W desklamp measures at 58W, the same as measured by the Jaycar meter. Adding a single nightlight boosts the meter reading to 62W.

The nightlight by itself or the meter with no load at all often reads

0W or 2W and this is also with or without the nightlight illuminated. So, this meter is a bit dodgy with lower powers too, as was the Jaycar meter.

Measurements:

1X60W bulb = 58W

1X60W bulb + 1Xnightlight = 62W

1X60W bulb + 2Xnightlight = 66W

2X nightlights = 8W

1X nightlight = 0W or 2W

No-load = 0W or 2W.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

"RMD"

** If all you wanted to do was measure resistive loads like lamps - then use you damn DMM on AC current !!

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil,

I'm testing it with bulbs.

If it works with bulbs then I'm prepared to believe it might work with inductive small loads like plugpacks or other similar loads such as standby power on electronic equipment

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Is the resolution of this meter only 1W? If it is that's disappointing.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Hi All,

The power meter seems to have stabilised after being left plugged in overnight.

It now consistently reads 2W without anything being plugged into it. Previously it was switching between 0W and 2W. It also claims that

0.05A is flowing with nothing plugged in to the power meter.

So there is a zero error. Pulling it apart there seem to be no adjustments like the Jaycar meter has.

It is now reading 6W consistently when I plug in a 6W (nominal) nightlight by itself. The nightlight also adds 4W to the reading if a

60 watt lamp is already plugged in.

I tried it with a VCR switching it from standby to play, and it went from 4W standby power to about 10W play power. (Subtracting the 2W zeroing error.)

Trying it with a 60W bulb plugged in as well as the VCR gave much the same result for the VCR standby/play power.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Yes, the meter reads only to the nearest watt.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Bugger.

So is the SC power meter kit the only decent low cost high resolution power meter available in Oz I wonder?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones