Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

More power line photos from India:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 15:45:39 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: (...)

One more that's too strange to ignore:

-- Jeff Liebermann snipped-for-privacy@cruzio.com

150 Felker St #D
Santa Cruz CA 95060
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Notice the barbed wire at the bottom of the installation. For the protection of the public no doubt. :-)

Seems they have it all covered.

Don...

-- Don McKenzie

Olinuxino Linux PC:

The World's Cheapest Computer: DuinoMite the PIC32 $30 Basic Computer-MicroController

Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard. Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.

Reply to
Don McKenzie

I guess with the number of people they have in that country, losing a few is not a real problem.

Go Figure

Reply to
hamilton

When I was over there 20 or so years ago there was a train out of Delhi that ran over a dozen people. The train driver was rewarded for continuing the journey so as not to cause inconvenience or delays to the passengers.

Reply to
swanny

And here I am worried about my working 240 volt sewing machine motor.

F Murtz

Sound ergonomics - the fuses? mounted at a convenient work height.

Reply to
who where

the public no doubt. :-)

Also notice that the four transfomers are still attached to the dolly and steel wheels. Probably a "temporary" installation.

The ladder and platform near the left leg has my puzzled. It has no obvious purpose. Maybe a charging stand for cell phones?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

The "before" picture actually looks fairly tidy to me.

My eyes first saw the inside of a phone closet around the time that Berners-Lee invented the web page. The phone closet was actually a reimagineered clothes closet with two sliding doors, one on the left, and one on the right. Restricted physical access enabled a technician to work on only one side at at a time. A technician took his best "photographic memory" of a given side before sliding a door closed to walk over and access the opposite side.

Morons had stuffed the closet full of all manner of stuff. Lots of

25 pair, 66 blocks, twisted pair, phone line, coax, twinax, FM radios, modems, routers, electrical cables, you name it. But relatively little Cat5. The Cat5 came later.

At the time it seemed reasonable that simple bad luck dealt me such a mess the first time out. But the next demarc, and the next, and the next, *all* looked just as bad. Almost two decades later my string of bad luck continues unabated...

OK. Surely the pros at my local telco CO *know* how keep things tidy?

No such luck. An insider tells me that it looks like someone armed a barrel of chimpanzees with wire wrap guns then turned them loose to do their worst.

"Mine's not to reason why, but to do or die." - telco employee.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

They actually tie stones to the end of wires and then launch them over the transmission lines. Hopefully they are not HV lines and presto, free electricity.

Martin Riddle

Then you have a poorly trained CO crew! My frame was pretty neat and tidy. You always pulled the old jumper out when you replaced one. You always dressed your cables and your jumpers. New jumpers were always pulled in directly, not under or over adjacent pairs, etc.

Running a CO frame all by yourself takes a whole new level of skill!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

The top half of the photo is missing and looks much like the lower half, wires everywhere. I couldn't take a single photo of the entire mess because it was in a hallway, and I couldn't back up far enough with my camera. There are two light green terminal boxes in the photo. The lower one was a giant Gordian Knot of station wire. It wasn't as bad as some of the nightmare photos I've seen on the web, but bad enough that it took me 4 full days to clean it up.

I worked on one of those. There was no way to get both opposing doors open at the same time. So, I just removed both doors from their hinges. It was still a problem because the building bathrooms were next to the phone closets, which prevented me from making my usual mess in front of the doorways.

Unfortunately, someone called the building manager, who called the owner, who called my primary contractor, who called the sub-contractor, who eventually called me. After processing the story through 4 people, it came out that I was allegedly throwing the doors into the dumpster, and ripping out fists full of wire from the phone closets.

Sounds a bit more than what I usually find. My office building phone closet is shared with a office cleaning service that uses the room to store lawn mowers, weed whackers, pressure washers, air compressors, hand tools etc. I cleverly installed a power strip at the optimum height for maximum impact by the lawn mower. Of course, I get the call from the manager that the internet is down, only when I'm 50+ miles away, or on a day off. I should move it but every other location is monopolized by Type 66 blocks, 110 blocks, and several dead Meridian phone systems that I suspect isn't being used, but have never bothered to check. My theory is that if I fix the obvious, the landlord won't pay me. However, if I wait for the complaints to accumulate, he'll pay me to make it right.

That should be a clue. Proper wiring is a lost art. Those that learned it from Ma Bell in the 1960's know how to do it right. After about 1990, nobody seems to be taking the time to do neat work or even to label their work.

Converted Victorian office building MPOE. It's about 12 ft off the ground. I had to get a longer ladder.

This is typical.

Nope. They're the one's that usually make the mess. However, I don't blame them. They have a fixed amount of time allocated to do the job. That usually doesn't include "reinforcing" the cabling. So, they do it quickly and badly, hoping that the next installer will fix it for them. Of course, that never happens.

Ask not for whom the phone bell tolls, for it tolls for thee. (Appologies to John Donne).

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

In all honesty, premise wiring keeps getting better all the time (as the song goes). Phone and data now both use Cat5, 5e, or 6 and get terminated in a tidy patch panel. Demarcs now come with RJ45 ports.

The closest I ever got to a CO frame was in the basement of a 1960s era, six story office building. A timeless technological work of art to those with engineering eyes.

-- Don Kuenz

Reply to
Don Kuenz

For a new building.. Any buidling with any age will have at least 4 diferent sets of phones wires, old RS232 cabling, coax network, Cat3, maybe Cat4 and now Cat 5 being replaced with Cat 6 possibly Cat 7. You wont notice all the cables as occasionaly they would have been painted over or new trunking runs put in leaving the old there as well.

    PC Services
 Timing Diagram Font
  GNU H8 - compiler & Renesas H8/H8S/H8 Tiny
 For those web sites you hate
Reply to
Paul

No one, the bag had disintegrated long ago. Just nobody cared (including the long ago loosed cats).

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

of the public no doubt. :-)

Those four units appear to be radiators for the oil cooling system. Otherwise, it looks like an ordinary three phase transformer, which has been installed exceptionally low. The four 3 phase low voltage cables from the transformer are intended for a much higher transformer mounting, since cables are zig-zagging across the system, before entering the fuses from below.

At least there is some sense in the installation since the customer wires are installed after the fuses.

However, I do not see how the secondary neutral is connected, assuming

240/415 V (British legacy) distribution system, or perhaps this is 240 V delta only distribution (no neutral)
Reply to
upsidedown

of the public no doubt. :-)

Agreed. It's one transformer. I assumed that 12 cables, coming out of 4 cans, would make 4 transformers. However, following the cables from the line of fuses, some of them go up the I-beams to probably some additional transformers at the top of the I-beams, and out of the picture.

Yep. I tried to work it out from the color code (red-yel-blu) which I think (not sure) defines a delta secondary. Wye would require a 4th neutral wire.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

So, no one bothered to clip their nails, and they clawed their way out? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not that bad, if the installation is documented. I've seen worse in TV stations.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell