how can light up an old vintage chandlier using a battery for outside party

Hi I have and old vintage chandelier. its made for using indoors but, i want to use is for a dinner party outside for one night under and canopy. The light has five arms and uses 25 watt bulbs. it is

85 years old and dose not have a ground wire to it. I would like to hook it up in my house later. I have no Idea which wire is hot or negitive. I have installed new fans light fixtures up before with instuctions . I like to do creative things . I don't want to harm the chandelier.

can anyone help me .. what kind of batter to use, car battery or one of those 8 volt batteries that you get with a flash light . what do I need and how to do this??

thanks, jill

Reply to
oukurt

I doubt you could run five 25w 240v bulbs on a 12v car battery.

You may have more luck making a lead for it - grab a few metres of wire and a mains plug from your hardware store and plug it into the wall. Hide the lead during the party.

-mark

Reply to
mark jb

Gee Mark do you think that is really a wise suggestion? Considering the posters apparent level of expertise as judged from her post, I have grave reservations about her undertaking a mains voltage rewiring job - seems a recipe for a potential disaster to me.

I would advise her to take to a local electrician and have it required and tested

David

mark jb wrote:

Reply to
quietguy

From what you say about the thing being 85 years old, having no earth etc, I would STRONGLY suggest that you get hold of an electrician to give it the once over before putting electricity anywhere near the thing !.

Some old fittings have potential death-traps like aged rubber coated wire, that disintegrates with age, especially after being disturbed falls off the conductor and can result in a dead short between active and neutral, or if there are metal parts, make them live and therefore dangerous !

Reply to
Kr