Glowing Magnetron.

Panasonic Inverter microwave oven model NN-S751WF.

Fault - Oven starts to cook but soon shuts off.

Customer told me one of his children turned the oven on for several minutes with nothing in it. The magnetron was a bit bent out of shape.

After testing the oven with a secondhand Magnetron, and finding everything to work o.k., I bought a new 2M261-M32 from WES.

The oven does work with the new Magnetron, but there is a red glow in the top near the terminals that concerns me. There is no glow from the secondhand unit.

Could the new unit be faulty?

Thanks in advance, Russell Griffiths.

Reply to
rg26ce1991

Hi Russell , I will let you know of my experiences with microwave repairing. Firstly I will assume you know all the safety stuff about the HV

I have safely been able to measure the filament/heater winding - which is around 3v (extreme caution needed as it is above 2kv) Luckily I haven't had to do this very often due to the risk. I have gone by a very simple and maybe crude way of listening to the magie at switch on and the overall temp after running it for a set time. "Most" magies will give a noticeable increase in loading within the first 2 seconds (as the filament/heater warms up) and after 1 min heating a cup of water the magie will be less than 50 deg (warm but not hot) Due to the replacement cost of most mw's I haven't seen many lately - so I cannot confirm the heater as visible, all the ones that I have seen to date are enclosed and not visible at all. But due to the HV and current if there was an issue with the terminals and insulation etc - it WILL become very noticeable very quickly.

Reply to
Jeff

Russel and Jeff,

my two cents worth. :) when I was repairing them in the late 1980s, I remember hearing after pushing the start button. 1. a low level hum. then, 2 a sizzling sound.then, 3 a much loader hum as the magentron starts to emit microwaves.

On the subject of caution, the supply in the oven is lethal. A friend in the 80s showed me, through an experiment, just how lethal they are.

Regards, Mitch...

Reply to
Mitch

I concur Mitch, My test setup is completely hands and body free (nowhere within 3 feet).

I don't measure the HV much anymore as I do most by ear - and you don't need to most times

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff