Panasonic inverter microwave repair

I have a very nice (read: expensive) Panasonic microwave oven in for service. It will actually end up being mine, when it's completed. It uses a SMPS and has some nice features. The display and control systems seem to work just fine. Anyway, it throws the earth leakage detector switch when attempting to cook. Once of the power transistors measures S/C, so my intention is to replace both transistors (with OEM parts), along with the bridge rectifier (which is suggested by the manufacturer). The question is this:

If I replace the power supply parts, how likely is it that the magetron is faulty and the power supply will, again, be destroyed on power up?

Should I replace the magetron on spec? I checked the terminals to earth and there appears to be no leakage, but you can never tell with these critters. I guess it's safe to Megger test the magnetron (500 Volts)?

I don't usually do microwave ovens, so this is new territory for me.

TIA

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

My crystal ball is in for NIST certification so I can't conjure up an answer for you.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse
Reply to

Don't waste your money. Those Japanese models are too small to get decent accuracy. ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 19:38:13 +1100, "Trevor Wilson" put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, I repaired a Panasonic inverter microwave oven a couple of years ago. After replacing the power transistors the oven worked fine. However, I don't recall that it tripped the ELCB beforehand. Moreover, I gave the oven away, so I don't know if it is still working.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

**Thanks Frank. I believe I'll take the chance.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au