Free SCSI Drives, etc

Hi Folks,

Free: a bunch of old SCSI HDD Drives, Interface Cards, Tape Drives, CD players and a CD recorder.

See

Not shown are about 5 other HDD Drives (they are all 100 Mb).

If you can use them, write gzimmer AT wideband DOT net DOT au You get to pay postage from country Victoria. else they go in the dumpster.

Cheers .................... Zim

Reply to
Graeme Zimmer

that segate h/drive shown is that a 100mb? ive never seen them that low, ive only seen them in 4-10gig.

zack

Reply to
john

that segate h/drive shown is that a 100mb? ive never seen them that low, ive only seen them in 4-10gig.

zack

Reply to
`ZACK`

In message , `ZACK` writes

Jeez, that makes me feel old.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

You must be one of those youngsters.

Reply to
keithr

I guess he must be.

I remember the first Hard drive I ever bought was only 20Mb. I thought I would never fill it, 3 months later I bought a 40Mb

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070

My first was 5 megs, it was pretty obsolete when I got it (for free) in

1986. I then graduated first to an 80 meg SCSI then to a pair of 8" 350 meg SCSI drives (they were in an external case which kept your feet warm on cold nights).
Reply to
keithr

Lucky you, my first 10MB drive cost me $500 plus $150 for the controller card!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

And I remember getting 2 cdrom readers at $1000 each for my office, and all I had was two disks to read, the IFRB master frequency lists.

--
Laurie.
Registered Linux user # 468070
Reply to
qmod

That was a bit too steep for me. My first 2x Panasonic CD reader "only" cost $350. :-) Disks weren't cheap either, even the first crappy Microsoft Encarta was over $100 from memory. They were giving them away a few years later.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

keithr Inscribed thus:

Yikes ! That reminds me that I still have my old 5Mb Seagate ST5 from

1981 and the first SCSI HDD I bought, 68Mb if I remember... I don't recall any 8" platter drives of that size. I do remember the 12 or 14" dia disk packs. Must be getting old...
--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Remember my first drive, Seagate 20 Mb. I got RLL controller card and formatted it to 30 Mb, then got second identical drive. 60 Mb lasted me for a long time in DOS days...

Tom

Reply to
Tom

CD

To give you and idea of how far it has gone:

I bought a 100mb in 1990-1 for my then new 16mhz 286 computer I built from the guts of a failed XT machine. Im pretty sure that it was an IDE unit of similar size to modern drives and cost over $400 At the time and that was a good price.

You also needed an IDE (or whatever format used) card for the drive.

The card I had also included a floppy drive and clock/calendar chip on the card. It MAY have had a serial/parallel/game port on it as well, but Im not sure if that was a separate card again. . Basically, other than a keyboard interface and card slots - motherboards had NOTHING to interface to the outside world. Everything was an optional card.

Prior to that I had a 20mb unit in a used XT that I had. It didnt use IDE - it had 2 separate cables, and was either MFM or RLL operated. IT was a 5 1/4" case and cant remember if it was as high as 1 or 2 modern CD ROM drives.

Prior to that, in about 1987 on a tour of HP, I remember being shown a shoebox sized hard drive that was about 70mb. It made quite loud and "rhythmic" "rap music beat" type sounds when it operated, it sounded quite "cool" actually :)

PC's were usually only owned by professionals or well off computer enthusiasts who had a specific use for them, and were expensive and not user friendly for the non-technical user.

Most didnt use hard drives, dual floppies would be normal (1 for program, 1 for it's data).

The first "Winchester" hard drive (presumably for use in a home or office "desktop" rather than in a computer data centre) came in a 5mb version and cost around the $4000 mark IIRC

Thinking about it, the most advanced "computerised devices" that the average everyday person got to actually use until the 1990s were commercial arcade video games. (and to a lesser extent home versions) These usually had reasonable colour graphics and many had synthesised sound.

Reply to
kreed

The first drives that I worked with were Control Data 10 meg removable packs circa 1973. They had 14" platters, and the heads were moved by an electric motor through a rack and pinion gear. There was a detent wheel to lock the heads in place when on track, and it was about a 2 hour job to set one up, adjusting the seek speeds to get it stable. They were replaced by 40 Mb removable pack drives also 14" with the heads moved by a hydraulic system. Finally we got to voice coil driven units with a 100 Mb drive being the size if a washing machine. Then came the "Winchester" style drives about 350 Mb with non removable platters sealed in an enclosure with the heads.

About 1982, the Japanese came out with the first sealed unit drives that I saw, 10.5" platters giving 440 Mb and later 625 Mb. IBM however stuck with the old winchester technology and 14" platters for the 3380 drive which had 2 sets of heads each giving 625 Mb later doubled and tripled. They were bastards of things, the platters were set vertically and were driven by a 1 horsepower motor through a flat rubber belt. They looked like something out of the ark, and changing an HDA (Head/disk assmbly) was not a job that you looked forward to. These were still in use on mainframe sites up to 1995 at least.

These days, my employer makes storage units that can hold up to 2000

3.5" drives. The drives can be fibre channel, solid state or SATA depending on the level of performance you require, and you can have any combination of RAID 1, 10, 5, or 6 protection. There is also up to 256 GIGs of RAM (mirrored) in there as cache.
Reply to
keithr

Most (if not all) 286 motherboards had the CMOS clock chip on them as this chip was also used to store configuration settings.

Having 2 serial 1 parallel 1 (or half) game port, 1 IDE bus and and 1 floppy bus on a single 16 bit ISA card was quite common.

also has connections for the speaker.

Jasen Betts

That's what the original IBM PC was, just had keyboard and cassette interface.

The 2nd floppy drive was an essential upgrade for non hard drive users back in the day. It meant you could have a DOS boot/utilities disk permanately in A: and your program/data disk in drive B:

Single drive was pain because you either had to keep swapping disks every time you exited a program (or did a disk copy), or you added command.com and a few choice utils to every disk in your collection!

I think I paid around $400 for my first 20MB hard drive, those were the days...

Dave.

http://www.eevblog.com
Reply to
David L. Jones

... snip

I paid a bit over $400 each for my first two Shugart SA-400 drives - the first of the 5.25 inch floppy drives. They were single sided, only

35 tracks, and the first controllers could only do single-density, giving a capacity of about 100KB. $400 back then was probably equivalent to a few thousand dollars in today's money.

Andy Wood snipped-for-privacy@trap.ozemail.com.au

Reply to
Andy Wood

My first drive was a stringy floppy at around $299USD in 1979:

well, that was after I got sick of loading and saving programs from a Radio Shack audio cassette :-)

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
Web Camera Page:     http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
No More Damn Spam:   http://www.dontronics.com/spam

The World's First Large-Scale, Multi-User, Real Time System.
http://www.dontronics.com/first_multi_user_real_time.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

remember the old 8 inch floppy drives?

also had a 8 inch h/drive the motor ran on 240volts ac belt drive to the platters was 40meg

Reply to
`ZACK`

s, CD

Clock card must have been on the XT then. IT did date the files correctly.

yes, that could just "beep"

Reply to
kreed