Wavetek 3100 service monitor problems

I have a Waveteck model 3100 service monitor. I got this unit from a guy ab out 15 years ago and I think that I used it a couple of times and then put it away for awhile. I recently tried to use it and the keyboard is locked u p and the LCD display reads:

"A1 Low

0 Drive"

I have the complete service manual, and although this error message is ment ioned as an important one it does not elaborate on what it might be. It say s to call the factory for tech assistance. I'm afraid that ship sailed long ago though. I don't know who might, or even if this unit is still supporte d anymore. This is admittedly an old unit but a nice one, and I'd really li ke to get it going. I have some old PRC77 military radios to repair and I c ould really use this thing. I know that there is a lithium battery inside t hat could be bad but the book mentions a different code for that fault. Can anyone please help me with this? Thanks, Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462009

memory backup battery/supercap somewhere?

Reply to
N_Cook

about 15 years ago and I think that I used it a couple of times and then pu t it away for awhile. I recently tried to use it and the keyboard is locked up and the LCD display reads:

ntioned as an important one it does not elaborate on what it might be. It s ays to call the factory for tech assistance. I'm afraid that ship sailed lo ng ago though. I don't know who might, or even if this unit is still suppor ted anymore. This is admittedly an old unit but a nice one, and I'd really like to get it going. I have some old PRC77 military radios to repair and I could really use this thing. I know that there is a lithium battery inside that could be bad but the book mentions a different code for that fault. C an anyone please help me with this? Thanks, Lenny.

Well I guess that I should look for this lithium battery. After 30 some od d years I'm thinking that it couldn't possibly still be any good. It's just that it does mention that different error code for a battery though. I dou bt that there would be anything like a super cap in this unit. It's too old for that I'm sure. Lenny

Reply to
captainvideo462009

Lenny-

I find that Lithium backup batteries usually last in excess of ten years. Measure the battery Voltage. I would expect 3.6 Volts for a new battery, but 3.0 Volts should still maintain memory.

Some equipment can retain memory contents with lower battery Voltage than others. If it is very low, replace battery and see if the error message changes.

If an original battery can not be obtained, you may be able to wire in something like a Radio Shack 270-009 CR2032 Battery Holder.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I can't even find a photo of a Wavetek (or CT Systems) 3100. Also, no downloadable manual. Got a link to get me started?

I have a few Wavetek 3000 series service monitors. If the 3100 is somewhat similar, I might be able to offer a clue. A dead battery is a good start.

Note that the Wavetek and CT Systems service monitors were NOT made to be tuned in the unit. Instead, there was a fixture at the factory where all the tuning was performed. The same philosophy applies to repair. The manual offers some basics, a circuit description, no voltages, no waveforms, and help. When Wavetek discontinued the CT Systems products, they threw away all the fixtures. The only way I've been able to fix the 3000b service monitors is by comparing voltages and waveforms with a known working (or barely working) unit.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

about 15 years ago and I think that I used it a couple of times and then pu t it away for awhile. I recently tried to use it and the keyboard is locked up and the LCD display reads:

ntioned as an important one it does not elaborate on what it might be. It s ays to call the factory for tech assistance. I'm afraid that ship sailed lo ng ago though. I don't know who might, or even if this unit is still suppor ted anymore. This is admittedly an old unit but a nice one, and I'd really like to get it going. I have some old PRC77 military radios to repair and I could really use this thing. I know that there is a lithium battery inside that could be bad but the book mentions a different code for that fault. C an anyone please help me with this? Thanks, Lenny.

I can't find a picture for you either Jeff. There are places to download th e nanual but no pictures anywhere. Very odd. Lenny.

Reply to
captainvideo462009

If Google can't find it, it doesn't exist. Welcome to the 21st century.

I guess this is the manual. Notice that's it's under the CT Systems name, not Wavetek. Which does the front panel of yours say? I'll take a look this weekend. Bizzeee with paying work for a few daze.

--
[...]

Jeff I think your 3000's must be the predecessors of the 3100. On my front panel in the upper left corner above the scope is a sticker (which is most likel y covering up just the name Wavetek). The sticker reads "CT Systems". Then the original number 3100, that was printed on the front panel (which was no t covered)is evident.

It must have been in the time that Wavetek became CT Systems. I guess that they didn't want to change the tooling for the front panel so they opted fo r the cheap way out. It's hard to believe that anyone would take over a lar ge company with a prestigious name like Wavetek, and then simply mouse a pi ece of equipment like this. And then that they'd just keep on selling it as though it was a name change on a toaster. But hey, what do I know anyway?

I found this picture. It is of a 5100. According to the book that I have th e 5100 was a later slightly improved version of the 3100. The specs may be slightly different however overall it's a very similar piece of equipment. Thanks for looking into this further. Best regards, Lenny

captainvideo462009