Electrolytic caps in series

G'day All What are the rules or method to calculate the values of balancing resistors when using electros in series ??

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

"Rheilly Phoull"

** Forget it - just use caps that have a large margin in excess of the needed voltage.

Eg - two 350 volt types applied to a 500 volt supply.

The caps will very soon reach a mutual, acceptable agreement on what precise voltage suits their individual taste !!

.............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

One day Phil Allison got dressed and committed to text

Thanks Phil

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Electros have a fairly wide value tolerance and corresponding leakage current variation, it's considered good practise to have a resistor across each capacitor so that a series divider chain is formed that swamps out the effect of leakage currents. If not then the individual voltages across the caps can be imbalanced to the point where the operating voltage of one of the electros is exceeded: I have seen it happen and the effect does exist.

In Morgan Jones' book "Valve Amplifiers" he has a good description of what's involved but I've loaned my copy to a friend so I can't give an exact quote but there was some rule of thumb.

This guy has it:

Regards Mark Harriss

Reply to
Mark Harriss

"Mark Harriss"

** In fact it never does.
** Utter crap - if the actual max operating voltage is approached, cap leakage current dramatically increases.

When there is a series pair of similar caps, the current flow MUST be the same through both caps - so the one with lower leakage immediately takes up the additional voltage. There is no problem at all as long as there is a total voltage margin of 30 %.

** Mark Harrarse is a wet behind the ears, 20 year old, Qld fascist prick with zero experience.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

  1. Please note that the localised "Phil Allison Effect" means that electronics behave completely differently in Phil's workshop than to the rest of universe.
  2. Also note that Phil is in disagreement with most respected texts on the subject.
  3. Also note that taking Phil's advice will cause problems down the track as the electrolytics age and dry out.
Reply to
Mark Harriss

"Mark Harriss"

** Just another anonymous, gutless, neo-fascist, know nothing pile of sub human crap hiding under a rock somewhere in Brisbane.

Joh would have loved him.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

With a resister correctly installed the voltage wont be problematic as excess is bleed so some smothing effect is evident

correct I refer to ARRL 1995 / filtration and bleed resistors (dual purpose)

wrong toaster boy , its std practise on all hv valve tx gear I have seen the last 35 years , Im certain now you are doing a roddles misinformation post

Reply to
Uncle-Fester

"Uncle-Fester"

** Utterly incomprehensible & anencephalic with no bright ideas.

............. Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sounds suspiciously like you're describing yourself there Toaster Boi, except the last part which should read ".....with not even any dull ideas."

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Inability to raise even the slightest meaningful rebuttal containing even a smidgen of proof noted .

Reply to
Uncle-Fester

** I supplied a proof for my recommendation - which BTW is based on long experience of dealing with high voltage elctros.

You simply ignored it.

Piss off.

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Inability to raise even the slightest meaningful rebuttal containing even a smidgen of proof noted .

nothing of any value noted here either , you really must learn to be truthful or continue to expect honest critism

I read it and made the right decision

Thanks for admiting your wrong toaster boy.

Reply to
Uncle-Fester

"Uncle-Fester" = another anencephalic prick

** Fuck off - you rote learning moron.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Good god, someone has cloned Rod Speed!

Reply to
keithr

yeah Buddy!, only with Horns!!!

Reply to
Mark Harriss

make me you weak insipid little toaster boy

Reply to
Uncle-Fester

But very very tiny ones ,( worn off due to abuse)

Reply to
Uncle-Fester

"Uncle-Fester" = another anencephalic prick

** Fuck off - you rote learning moron.

Reply to
Phil Allison

One day Uncle-Fester got dressed and committed to text

OK, since you guys say you have the real 'gen' (not like Phil) and all the knowledge, how do ya calculate the values of the resistors ?? Forget all the abuse and denigration, share your superior knowledge with me ??

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull