Calculating voltage based on schematic

So, I know that this is basic electronics, but I'm still a neophyte, so I need to ask. I need to learn to calculate the expected voltage by looking at a schematic, and subsequently how modify the schematic to deliver a different voltage. Can anyone either explain it, or anyone suggest an in-depth website or book (websites are wayyy easier for me though)? Thanks

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

heh, thanks

unfortuantely this is my class. ooks, internet texts, and soldering ron and my workbench. How do I make those calculations though? Where do I start? Thanks

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

--- Since you're talking about schematics, why don't you post one and then ask a specific question that's related to that schematic?

So far what you're asking is general enough that trying to answer whatever it is we think you have in mind is likely to be a waste of time. If you don't know how to draw schematics using ASCII characters so you can post them to non-binary newsgroups like this one, you can post binaries to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic. or to a web site somewhere.

There's also a free ASCII schematic drawing package you can download. The URL escapes me, but I'm sure if you're interested someone with the URL close at hand will post it for you.

-- John Fields

Reply to
John Fields

The most recent version has the LTSpice -> ascii thing built in. I haven't used it, so I don't know how well it works.

--
Regards,
   Robert Monsen

"Your Highness, I have no need of this hypothesis."
     - Pierre Laplace (1749-1827), to Napoleon,
        on why his works on celestial mechanics make no mention of God.
Reply to
Robert Monsen

The basics? Try

to "calculate the expected voltage by looking at a schematic, and subsequently how modify the schematic to deliver a different voltage. "

Try simulation. SwCAD Is free.

Reply to
cor

Book on basic DC circuits, bunch of batteries, bunch of resistors, DMM, protoboard to hold it all together. Do all the math on papyrus and stylus, calculators are strictly verboten.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Thanks for the response,

The problem is I don't have a schematic for it yet, and it is possible, I may not get one. The project is to modify a power supply to a large scale recording console for use on a different board. I'm being supervised and tutored on it a bit, however, I'd really like to understand math and thought process behind "we need this resistor here and this value of cap there" and have ageneral understanding of wat I'l be doing before I pop the chassis and go at it.

Hope this helps a bit wiht understanding my question

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

The most popular one is AACircuit, developed by Andreas Weber,

Terry Pinnell
Hobbyist, West Sussex, UK
Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Sure, you look at the schematic and note the values of the components and associated voltages etc and using those you calculate the expected values of voltage/current etc. To modify the circuit you calculate the values of the components to produce the different voltage required. If you pay attention in class you should be able to do this.

-- Regards ..... Rheilly Phoull

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

--
It does, but it doesn't help to get you any answers.  For example, I
could say that a resistor is used as a current limiting device, or to

I'm having a hard time understanding why your curriculum did not teach you math before getting into circuit analysis. Did you skip a class?

-- Al Brennan

Reply to
Kitchen Man

Cut the kid a break. Let him use a slide rule. Seriously, this sounds like a great suggestion; I'd add that he should also buy some capacitors and switches and have some real fun. "Teach yourself derivatives in three easy lessons."

-- Al Brennan

Reply to
Kitchen Man

Heh,

curriculum? I'm a musician and studio rat who likes to tech his own board. No formal training other than being shown ho to solder in exchange for a case of beer. I did forget a very important "the," though. So it should have read "I would like to understand the math and thought process behind. . ."

At any rate, I'm a blank slate here. Following schematics and jumping into a mixing console with an expander and meter isn't all that difficult, but swapping out the guts of a power supply to get a different voltage on the "out" ends, is a bit more difficult, at least to me, right here and now.

The simulation wa great, thank, Ill start workig with ohms law and grab some old PC boards we have lying around the studio that are slated for trash. try to blow somethings up.

-Chris

Kitchen Man wrote:

supply

I'm

here

I'l

teach

Reply to
Chris

On 12 Feb 2005 18:21:54 -0800 in sci.electronics.basics, "Chris" wrote msg :

That's a good start. When I was about eight, I plugged a speaker into a wall outlet, because I wanted to hear what electricity sounded like. Not that I recommend such an experiment, but it was certainly a learning experience. =8-0

--
http://www.xmission.com/~tiger885/motorbike/NART/nart.html
Reply to