Oh duh... Should have realised

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

On 5 Jun 2005 17:11:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@internode.on.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

That should be STi5518BQC.

I recognised the STi prefix as being used by ST Microelectronics. I then searched for STi5518 at the following URL:

I typed 29LV800 into Google. The name "Fujitsu" popped up, together with brief functional descriptions.

Had you posted a picture earlier, I would have immediately recognised the /F/ logo. I would then have searched for datasheets at

Your part is actually a Fujitsu MBM29LV800-TE90PFTN:

OK, my mistake this time. :-)

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 11:01:50 +0930, Kissing Lettuce put finger to keyboard and composed:

SGS Thomson became ST Microelectronics in 1998.

See

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Actually, speaking of cheap STBs, I picked up one of those Kross SD boxes from Woolworths a week ago for $79 and it works a treat (even has a readable manual).

- Rob.

The return rate vs actual legitimate faults are much lower than you think. However, the general lack of technical lnowledge by PowerHouse staff members is much higher than average, no doubt most of the STBs you saw returned were sold for the wrong reasons and the customers given no after sales backup, after all, the PowerHouse motto is "duh, we dunno, just refund it..."

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

You know there was a time when DSE staff knew a little bit about electronics

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

A *very* little bit unfortunately. But I agree, they know even less now.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I remember a time when they knew alot, because many of them were enthusiasts, electronics students doing degree/tafe courses after a bit of extra money and even qualified techies in between jobs... Hmmm, all of a sudden i feel old :)

mike

Reply to
Mike Paull

Unfortunately may know less than they think. CB enthusiasts were a common example. OK if you were after a CB I guess, but usually not much else. (Not counting real amateurs here, as the ARRL course was worthwhile)

Knowledge will depend on how far they are into the course then obviously.

Yes, but that still happens now there are less real jobs.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Enthusiasts of all kinds, CB, Electronics, computers.

Sure, obviously some were first year and some were nearing the end of their courses, or had finished and were looking for jobs in their chosen fields.

Guess it does.

Reply to
Mike Paull

On Sat 4 Jun 2005 at 01:44:51 +1000 Blob at wrote in :

You're thinking of "compare to", which means the opposite:

--
Arfur Moo
Reply to

"Error: TinyURL redirects to a TinyURL."

dashdash*space*

blob

On Wed 6 Jul 2005 at 14:19:01 +1000 Blob wrote in :

Sorry, Blob. As far as I know it's the first time one of my TinyURLs has gone wrong. I don't know why it happened. Shall I compare it to other computerish things that've been designed to test us?

Anyway, in case anyone is still interested, TinyURL's error message mentions the original URL as (beware of that linebreak!). Marvellous writing.

--
Arfur Moo
Reply to