DSE SD Set Top Box

Not a bad little product

Some questions though.

  1. It isn't mentioned much in the manual but where and how do you upgrade the software for this. The STB has an RS-232 serial port on the back. Anyone played around with this feature?

  1. I can get ABC, ABC2, and ABC Adelaide, Nine Digital, Ten Digital and the Ten Guide as well as the EPG. The only channel I can't get is 7.

Anyone know of a decent indoor antenna for this STB? Everything except channel 7 is working on this.

Oh and do any of the channels do Teletext?

-- John

I drive the very latest hovercar I don't know where you are But I miss you so much till then I met someone that looks a lot like you She does the things you do but she is an IBM

She's only programmed to be very nice But she's as cold as ice whenever I get too near She tells me that she likes me very much But when I try to touch she makes it all too clear

She's is the very latest in technology Almost mythology but she has a heart of stone She has an IQ of 1001 She has a jump suit on and she's also a telephone

Yours Truly 2095 (1981) E.L.O.

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

"Kissing Lettuce"

** Yep - got one myself.

** Ask the nice folk at DSE - they have a phone number.

** But where are you - in a country town ???

** No indoor antennal is good if you are in a fringe area or dead zone.

Ch 7 does.

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Does 7 Adelaide broadcast a digital signal?

Reply to
Brissie

I like it it's quite cool

I plan to do just that Phil

In the metro area. I don't think Salisbury is a fringe suburb is it?

See above

Thanks Phil

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

** Above does not tell me if you are in a dead zone of dead spot.

Successful indoor antenna usage is a matter of pure serendipity - depending on the actual building design, surrounding buildings and particular location of the antenna.

However, if you have a viewable analogue pic - then the digital one ( if it exists at all) should be fine.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

Got one just yesterday. Happy with it so far.

You forgot about SBS and possibly any other special digital TV stations in your city/town (Macquarie for me). All stations should also have a guide station, not just Ten.

I assume most do. Ten and Seven seems to have it when I checked.

A roof aerial is recommended, however if analogue reception was good you should be able to easily get digital with an indoor aerial.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to

When I set up my mum's STB (different brand, with a roof aerial) it wouldn't tune in channel 9. I had to connect it directly to the aerial feed (rather than have it daisy-chained after a VCR and a DVD recorder) to tune it successfully - I think the VCR was just too much of a drain on the signal strength. This _could_ be your problem.

--
Hugh - to reply, don't c me
Reply to

Some people have had success using amplified indoor antennas from DSE. If it doesn't help they'll give you a refund too.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 14:44:18 +0930, Kissing Lettuce put finger to keyboard and composed:

FWIW, here are the corresponding instructions for a Legend model LSD2 STB. At the very least you'll get a laugh out of them.

===================================================================== Put the cursor on the Factory Setting instruction to enter its submenu and which shows us as: Entry needs cypher

System info: to show the software version, date etc. related information

Restore default: to reset the installation. Note: all the data former your set will be cleared if you confirm the reset

Software update: to update your built-in software of the device through PC to box or box to box the two manners; the following is the operation steps of an instance:

PC to box: connect the serial data interfaces of the PC and the box with serial cable and make sure that the two interfaces are accordant; dblclick the '.exe program upgrade.exe as right side

Open the Setup menu and select the correct interface on your computer (as the right illustration interface COM 1 is illustrated);

Press the OK instruction to pitch on the COM1

Force down the icon UPGRADE to spring out the dialog box with words "upgrade progress"

Turn off the box and then turn it on to choose the PC to box instruction to start the upgrade and the upgrading program will be downloaded to the box. Restart the box to complete the upgrading.

Box to box: do not connect the serial cable firstly. To pitch on the instruction of Box to Box in the menu of Software Upgrade, define one the box that owns higher version software as the master and the other as the slave; to display the Master Box phrase on the master box, press the OK key to wait until the monitor display "downloading..." character. The same operation on the slave box to show the "Receiving..: character; then to connect the serial cable well to download the software and the screen will show the pace of download. After download, the monitor of the slave box shows "Burning...". After burning, the slave monitor turns into blank screen; the upgrade has been accomplished

Note: The two descriptions above-mentioned just belong to the samples. Serve for the reference only. Attention that the process of upgrade does not allow the power cutting or the STB will be damaged =====================================================================

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I think that belongs in the Chinglish thread...

Reply to
Bazil

"Bazil"

** Staff ( et management) at DSE wisely elected to write their own handbook for the DSE STB.

How hard can it be for someone to take home the Asian manual and a sample of the product to play with for a few days - then write out all the ambiguities and delete all the silly / unneeded stuff.

......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Next to Elizabeth. May as well be in Port Agutta.

Reply to
AndiP

--

-- [ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ] [

]

You can also email the support email addy from the dse webpage, they will email you back the firmware .. I got an update for mine the other day.. You will need a null modem cable to do the upgrade tho, and DSE no longer sell these ..

Reply to
Lord-Data

Once upon a time Lord-Data decided to write:

Is the firmware actually necessary?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to
Chriz

I havnt installed it yet .. still yet to actually get a null modem cable :) I've had no issues with mine .. works flawlessly, never crashed or failed .. I dunno whats added in the firmware ..

--

-- [ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ] [

]

Reply to
Lord-Data

I actually used to work for DSE Powerhouse. All I can say is their DSE branded STB's are rubbish.

Your pretty lucky, considering most that bought them, returned them with faults.

Reply to
cmwmjt

Reply to
steam3801

I find the debouncing of the on/off key on the box and the remote really bad. I try and press the button to turn the set off and most of the time it turns off and then back on again.

Reply to
dean

Once upon a time snipped-for-privacy@impartsp.com.au decided to write:

Well the Teac ones cost the same (around $148). Anyone own one of these? If so, are they good or would you know if they're better than the DSE ones. I may buy another in the future and may try the Teac one.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to
Chriz

So a bog standard serial cable won't work? Bugger!!!!!

What I find interesting is that there are two meters for the signal one that measures signal level and one that measures the quality of the signal.

Now correct me if I am wrong but I have found if the quality of the signal drops below 50% the box drops that channel and the screen says "Bad or no signal"

Yet I find when that happens the signal level is still around 60% despite the quality level being around 50 or 55%. This is my experience when trying to get channel 7 digital....

I wonder if that aspect of the unit could be hacked a bit to make it less picky?

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce