DSE SD Set Top Box

SBS does indeed work as does ten. But why no guide for channel 9 and why bother when you have the EPG to program the times and all?

I am told channel 7 do teletext

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Yes, get a better antenna.

Alternatively, try another brand of STB and hope for a more sensitive tuner.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen

"Kissing Lettuce"

** The signal quality bar indicates how well the MPEG data contained in the signal is being extracted - there is a degree of redundancy included so it need not be 100 % to get a perfect result.

Once the data is corrupted by a certain amount the picture cannot be fully reconstructed so the DSE unit momentarily freezes on the the previous complete frame or if the data corruption is on going, it just goes blank.

Basically -go fix your antenna problem - you are on the wrong track .

............ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Once upon a time Kissing Lettuce decided to write:

Does ABC have a guide?

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to

Return it while you still can!

#1: Would not recieve signal at all. #2: Left channel sound dead (Staff member trying to convince me it was my cabling. Produced RCA cable from pocket, inserted into nearest TV, shut him right up) #3: Refund.

From what I've seen, digital doesn't need a particularly strong signal to recreate it on your TV (anything over 60ish percent), you just drop a few FPS on a worse signal. Mine picked up extremely well on rabbitears, out near the blue mountains.

Just make sure you try it out before you buy it. If they won't let you, don't get it. And screw around with it, if you can't change settings without reading the manual, forget it ;)

-mark

Reply to
Mark H

So true I find it a prick to use.I find the RF connection in the back of it a bit sloppy too.

Reply to
Pete

I have the TEAC DVB420 (I think thats it...) cost $160 at Myer 6 months ago.

Novice user, no electronic skills or understanding... set it up with no probs and the thing has not missed a beat. Oh, not quite true, every now and then (maybe once a month) it will lock up and require off/on to reset. Maybe firmware upgrade will fix that?

Brisbane northside (Strathpine)user.

I'm happy with it but have nothing to compare it with...

Reply to
Dug Graves

I hope they're better than their TVs. Which look nice but break a lot (like mine did).

Reply to
ant

They will in the next few weeks.

Reply to
Kevin Hendrikssen

Not even a summer's day?

dashdash*space*

blob

On 2 Jun 2005 17:44:45 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netspace.net.au put finger to keyboard and composed:

I wonder how many people buy these STBs in the hope of "fixing" an existing reception problem? How many of these faults were genuine failures and how many were simply pixelation issues due to bad reception?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Once upon a time ant decided to write:

I've had two experiences with Teac in the past and their products don't seem to last as long as better brands. I guess they're on the upper scale of the cheap brand products though because they are known well enough.

--
Remove ALL_YOUR_HARDWARE to reply by email.
Reply to
Chriz

Thankyou to everyone that replied and offered advice.... Problem with 7 digital seems to be mostly solved now...

Using an amplified antenna

I noticed 3 chips while poking around in the box too but can't seem to find any information via google and am wondering what else to try.

So far I only found info on one of them.

The chips are as follows

Vdata P0442E VDS66164A4A-6

I have found data for this one and it is a I megabit memory chip

Omega STI 5518B0C D1S-G410921 AAAAN VG TWN AA 422

MALAYSIA

29LV800TE-90PFTN 8420 F32

If anyone can help with identifying these chips

Reply to
Kissing Lettuce

Frank we got our DSE STB about 6 months ago - we live behind a large hill - Ch2 reception was crap - SBS etc were poor. Reception is now good on all channels - we get occasional pixelation due to poor signal but it sure beats watching a snow storm on ch2. I must look at getting a digital antenna some day.

I can imagine some people taking their sets back as "faulty" due to antenna problems. r.

Reply to
rob

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:52:23 +0930, Kissing Lettuce put finger to keyboard and composed:

Microprocessor/decoder/chipset by ST Microelectronics. Datasheet is probably subject to a NDA.

Low voltage 8Mbit (1Mx8) 90ns flash EEPROM, possibly by Fujitsu.

^^^^ If this is a YYWW date code, then I expect it should read "0420".

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

You're one of those really annoying customers.. arn't you .. Ever get the impression sales people hate you?

--

-- [ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ] [

]

This before mentioning that you were using rabbit ears only? Mmm.. must be a faulty box .. of course ..

Genuine fault obviously.. but ..

So why refund? Obviously a faulty machine .. Take another one. The fact you had one faulty box does not mean theyr a bad box, nor qualify as grounds to advise others to not buy one..

Curious tho, how exactly did you determine an audio problem if it "Would not recieve signal at all."?

Dropping ANY FPS is a bad thing, and signifies you don't have good enough signal. Any box, regardless of make/brand is going to have glitches/issues below ~65-70 signal QUALITY (not level)

Helps the "> #1: Would not recieve signal at all." statement, of course ..

Because obviously the level of signal and availability of an antenna in a retail outlet is going to be SOOOO related to your actual location and antenna. Not to mention a lot of places use lights that interfere with tv signal reception, digital included, meaning you won't do too well within the location with a rabbit ears ..

This may also be because your a clueless moron, but I guess even a manual won't help with that ..

Reply to
Lord-Data

Don't hold it against me because I hate Indonesia(s)

Reply to
cmwmjt

What's an NDA? And for that matter I did use google but could not find the Omega chip.

What did you use for your search query?

I tried various combinations of lines in the printed text on the actual chips.

I am realy curious now where are you getting your info?

It's definitely 8420 F32

See here

There's photos of the board in the STB and it's definitely 8420 F32

Reply to
sittinginthepool

Well simply the problems stemmed from the cheaply and poorly built boxes.

The DSE brandname is mostly junk, aside from one or two decent items.

Reply to
cmwmjt

Hi again Franc

I think also the Omega chip might also be SGS Thomson see below

Kissing Lettuce