Double Headed Fakes

Hi all,

back in 2000/2001, DSE ( and others) were selling counterfeit Motorola power transistors, both over the counter and supplied in amplifier kits.

This first came to my attention via to old " Electronics Australia Q&A Forum " when a NZ fellow posted about experiencing multiple, unaccountable blow-ups with his DSE 100 watt amp kits.

Suspecting fake MJ devices, I picked up a sample MJ15003 device from my local ( Burwood, NSW) DSE store, tested it and then opened it up for a peek. What was inside was astonishing.

You can see JPEGS of what I saw then, now, on ABSE.

Same heading as here.

ABSE = alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I have copped this in the past with unsatisfactory (IE: lasted about

10 mins in use) 2n6287 / 2n6284 devices Do you have a good source for genuine versions of these devices in Aus ?

The genunine (and reliable) ones from the original amplifier were marked "GE/RCA" or the "M" (motorola symbol)

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

** Wot - with two chips inside ??

If not, then you are on a whole nuther issue.

** Post that question to the NG - not me.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

What did the CEO of Woolies have to say when you informed him that his organisation was engaged in fraudulent and deceptive activities?

You did tell him, didn't you :)

Reply to
swanny

The 2N6284 is available from Farnell

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"swanny"

** Were they ?

That would be a stretch, based on the facts available and would just be hotly denied.

DSE staff eventually informed themselves of there being a bit of a problem when some of the " MJ15004s " turned out to be NPN !!

This page has some more info on the story.

Mr Elliot was first informed about of the fakes being on sale by me, then did his own investigations.

Other MJ numbers were involved and I also discovered fake RCA 2N3771s on sale at DSE stores a bit later on.

I can tell you for a fact that neither the NSW police, NSW Fair Trading, the TPC, the NZ Commerce Commission nor the Federal Police or even my local federal member of parliament could give a hoot about DSE (or anyone else ) importing and/or trading in fake electronic components with forged trademarks.

Makes you feel real safe - eh ?

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As if you could actually speak to the CEO, or he would care if you did.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

I'm sure Martin di Stasio would make it into a hard-hitting story anyway!

I remember when DSE had their own brand of jelly-bean transistors. I wonder how good they ever were?

You're right. Counterfeit currency, DVD's, CD's, software and even clothing get a higher profile and more attention than components. I guess it's up to the various trademark owners to police and prosecute if they can.

No, not really. Given the amount of Chinese rubbish that breaks down in no time it's not surprising that they aren't filled with counterfeit components.

Reply to
swanny

"swanny"

** Lemme assure ya - the general public are just not interested in anything even half so *geeky * as fake components being sold to hobbyists and repair techs.

So neither are the media.

** Irrelevant.

** They could not, even if they wanted to, cos you have got to know who the culprit is and catch them red handed with the stock.

Only the police, customs officials etc have the powers of entry, search, seizure and the ability to insist that folk associated with the scam supply information or face prosecution for obstruction.

Eg - police would start at DSEs head office, interview all the purchasing staff, demand to see relevant purchase documents, find out exactly where the fakes came from AND what was done with the ones that were not sold.

Motorola cannot do any of that PLUS are not interested in spoiling relations with one of their bests customers for mobile phones.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

So that wouldn't be the story - too geeky as you say, and a big audience turn-off.

So how about something like this instead, just to improve the ratings:

"In today's world, everyone's lives are affected by technology and electronics. From the humble kitchen appliance to air traffic systems, communications, water and electricity infrastructure and transport."

[shots of airport/atc/planes][shot of traffic lights, trains][shot of cellphones, comms towers][shot of dams, generators and power control centre][shot of TMC].

"Imagine if all this was under threat from unscrupulous operators flooding the industry with substandard counterfeit components, the building blocks that make all this possible. Imagine these fake components being virtually indistinguishable from the real ones and may fail at any time."

[shots of traffic chaos, meltdown in trading room, plane on fire, blackouts etc]

"Well it would appear that such a scenario may be unfolding as several industry professionals have discovered..."

Reply to
swanny

"swanny"

** That would be a colossal " beat up " .

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Sure would. Something the tabloid TV channels would be eager to do :)

[Mike]: Looks at camera, serious face, nods. "Mmmmmmm. Distrurbing story. We'll be back with more right after the break." [Looks down, shuffles papers].
Reply to
swanny

"swanny"

** Bollocks.

You are an utter IDIOT.

Reply to
Phil Allison

turn-off.

etc]

There was such an article along those exact lines on one of those programs during the 1990s about counterfeit bolts and fasteners ending up in aircraft and possibly vehicles. Many of these were sub standard (were not high tensile where they were supposed to be) and were even falsely marked.

I dont know what the end result was of this being exposed to the public

Reply to
kreed

"kreed"

** I remember seeing that on TV - scary stuff.

** Well, I for one have never got on board a plane since ....

But seeing as jet airliners REALLY crash because some maintenance guy left a switch in the wrong position or covered up crucial sensors with gaffa tape, or some fool loaded incendiary devices into the cargo hold or a door latch was not fully locked etc etc ...

Fake bolts are entirely unnecessary.

....... Phil :-0

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Or here:

Look for: " Double Headed Fakes MEX190 " 002.jpeg & 003.jpeg.

.......... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

communications,

flooding

that

We'll

OK, you've done all the hard work for them, now send them the script :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Yep, and is still happening of course. And the airlines are now even employing unqualified safety inspectors it seems :-(

Just as you might expect, bugger all!

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

"kreed"

** Google turned up one air crash that was attributed to the use of counterfeit and substandard bolts.

In 1989, a Norwegian Convair 580 (a bit like a DC3) crashed after losing its tail fin - 55 people were killed.

BTW

It is very sobering to look at the very looooong list of fatal airliner crashes in the last 20 years or so.

EG

An Airbus A300 nosed dived into a NY suburb in 2003 killing all 260 on board just after take off - for no better reason than the pilot was too " rough " in his handing of the ruder controls, causing it to snap off due to overload.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Interesting to note that looking at those lists, 2007 has the highest number of accidents / incidents listed out of any year in that page, and 2007 is nowhere near finished yet.

Reply to
kreed