Computer and electronic equipment in Australia

Hi. I may be moving to Australia from the UK and wondered whether it would make sense to bring my PC, monitor etc or buy new. I know the voltage is the same but wondered if there might be other problems. The plugs I understand are a different shape too but would I just be able to replace a UK 3 pin with an Australian 3 pin?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
davidanthonybradbury

Yep All UK voltages are understood locally. Plugs are different. Not over engineered like the ones in England. They use a standard earth active and neutral. (No fuse) Also use double insulated (no earth at all) appliances. If you are moving it might make sense to get an aussie to english dictionary though. See here >>>

Jonno

**Buy new. But avoid that damned new version of Windows like the plague. Like most things, computer equipment is cheaper (or was) in Australia than in the UK. The cost of living (even in Sydney) is somewhat lower than in (say) London. The only exception being European automobiles. Do a search here:

You'll gain an idea about prices.

Go here:

For the latest exchange rates.

If all else fails, just replace the mains plug and you'll be sweet.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

If you're not moving a household of stuff then buy new and save the cost of transporting it here. The prices of PCs and laptops would probably be on a par with those in the uk. And yes, you can purchase a new mains cable for your pc for a couple of dollars.

Reply to
dmm

All should work fine bar the plugs, typical outlets are 10A (rather than 13A) so some appliances may need to be left behind or need a special outlet.

IEC cables are easily had so you won't need to replace plugs. If you have a large number of wall-wart style powersupplies it may be a good idea to bring a UK powerstrip with you and fit an Australian plug (or use an adaptor)

Don't bring an analogue tv,

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

Electrically there is no problem at all, just change the plug to an Australian one. (or replace the IEC cord with a local one).

Power here is 240vac 50hz. It should be noted that Australian household sockets are 10a maximum (not 13a like there). If you have any appliances that draw ABOVE 10a (like big heaters, clothes dryers, welders etc) you will need to have a 15a socket installed by an electrician - this will have its own dedicated circuit and circuit breaker at the power-box.

Things like plugpacks or such (where you can't replace the plug) you should consider bringing UK power boards and put local plugs onto them. (This will probably be cheaper option for you with stuff like your computer gear where using the powerboard, will only need replacing one plug instead of several items that you always use together like computer gear, stereo components etc)

The one computer problem you might have here is modem compatibility, if you have dial-up or ADSL, modems, they possibly might not work over here on our phone system, even if you change the telephone plug. Check first, or maybe someone else on this group might be able to advise you.

The TV system here is different, so I wouldn't bring a TV or VCR. Video tapes you bring will play here though without problems on local equipment.

Some overseas cordless phones are illegal to bring here (due to them using frequencies that arent licensed for cordless phone use here)

Reply to
kreed

Buy a computer when you get here, our computers dont whine as much as yours do!

Reply to
Two Bob

Dont you watch the news, Sydney has the most expensive house prices in the world.

Reply to
Two Bob

Probably better to sell your PC there (remove hard drive if it has personal data and mount it in a new PC here as D:). Cost of freight, warranty, etc.

PC's here are far cheaper than in the UK. Doing this would eliminate your connection compatibility issues completely (data/electrical). Local warranty is probably easier than sending unit back to UK :) for service.

Regards, H.

Reply to
Hugh

**Yes, I do watch the news. No, Sydney does not have the highest house prices in the world. They are high, though. Rents in Sydney are significantly lower than in London. Food costs are MUCH lower. Fuel costs are lower. Heating costs are lower. Etc, etc. Living in Sydney may be the most expensive place in Australia, but it is far from the most expensive in the world. Try Tokyo, sometime. You'll REALLY see what living costs are all about.
--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Perth now has higher prices than Sydney.

Reply to
Friday

Yep, just get a local IEC power lead when you get here.

My advice would be don't bring it, and don't buy a new one. Ex-Lease PC's are available real cheap, like $150 for a P4 2GHz+ Depends on how high spec a machine you actually want and need though, but for $200 you can get a PC that will do almost everything you could need.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Just what I was going to say, and driven by real estate agent greed,

4 bdrm house on 350sqm block in Glendalough, asking $699K no offers of course...
--
Regards
Mike

Yes, but we'd all rather live in Melbourne. All the imports are coming to Sydney, then realising their mistake come to live in Melbourne. Sydney, realising they've lost some population keeps on importing more of the same. Slow down immigration now for the right reasons.

Reply to
Jonno

And that would probably be about a million Euros is it was in Glendalough, Co Wicklow, Ireland. Real estate is ridiculously over priced over there compared to here.

Reply to
swanny