Computer LCD typical pin-outs ?

I've got 2 'portable computers', with the ribbon cable to the LCD displays having 15 and similar conductors.

What are the typical configuration and pin-outs of such LCDs ?

Are these 15-odd conductors driving the bit-map, or are bytes being fed into encoders first ?

I guess it couldn't display non-character/graphics if it didn't address the pixels individually ?

So if it's say 600 * 480 pixel, it looks as if the address-bus is multiplexed ?

== TIA

Reply to
problems

1) Bring these things to the recycling depot 2) Just buy a monitor

You are in for a rude shock if your level of questions is an indication of your experience. These little bastards (displays) are complex. The smaller ones may be simpler to understand but they are definitely not weekend breadboard projects to get running. Plus there are high voltages in there, be careful.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:50:50 -0500, problems@gmail put finger to keyboard and composed:

Notebooks typically use an LVDS interface between display and motherboard (graphics cards use TMDS in their DVI interfaces).

LVDS and TMDS are explained and compared here:

Here is a product spec, including pinouts, for a typical LG-Philips panel:

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

?

OK, I read "thye bus was squeezed from 22 lines to only 4 pairs". So it's pixel mapped and multiplexed ?

OK, I should have explained: that I'm investigating a minimum power, portable application. So speed via ECL technology is inapplicable. Also no back-lighting is applicable. Just 80-char-wide reading in suitable light is needed. And no color.

I wonder how the kiddies WII does it ?

Thanks.

Reply to
problems