Component shortages?

You could even go a little crazy and put a lot of the glue logic in PALs, PLDs. They must be 'commodity' devices by now, I would think.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My clients usually only care about three things:

a. That it works.

b. Unfettered availability for the next decade or so.

c. Ability to find a programmer in every village.

Check, check, and check :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I don't trust them much. At first they were milliamp guzzlers and many still are. Except maybe for Coolrunner and similar. Then we had situations where legacy PALs/GALs became unobtanium. This never happened with regular logic chips as long as you avoided the most obscure ones.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

There might not be a market for something that can't do high performance signal processing.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

A lot of times it turns out that one can get away with much less fancy signal processing. In some cases none at all. BTDT. So far the topper was a self-cal scheme to gang several ADCs. They had a huge DSP on the board, did all kinds of frequency domain finagling, it ran forever, barely ever converged and mostly ended in a calibration error. So, I rolled up the sleeves, pulled out the bush knife and got rid of all that. In came a few analog phase shifters, servo loops and an odd but fixed test signal. Oh, yeah, there were two signal lines which technically constitutes a digital world. One for "start cal", the other to signal "done". "Done" came on a few milliseconds after "start cal", every single time, and calibration was dead on.

The fancy DSP was now demoted to an RS232 arbiter because some other part of the board needed that functionality. I think they left it on there for historical purposes and because they didn't want to re-write the RS232 code.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Discretes, discretes, you don't need no steeenking discretes.

I only use a single piece of wire when I can get away with it!

More often than not I can't.

:-)

Nial.

Reply to
Nial Stewart

"Nial Stewart" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

My point is that you have a good relationship with your supplier and supplier FAE.

Some engineers on this thread... won't give the suppliers the time of day... until they need them for supply or technical support.

Joe

Reply to
Joe G (Home)

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti viestissä: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well x86 is multi-sourced and quite backwards compatible.

-ek

And give the FAEs feedback in a friendly way. I discover bugs on a regular basis. Then the style would be "Your so-and-so opamp has the following issue ..." instead of "Your so-and-so opamp really sucks" :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I find the sales types to be very useful resources. Sure, I probably spend a half-hour a week with the various sales people and FAEs, but I can also use them to search for components and information. Playing one against another (in a professional manner, of course) is a good way to get the pricing we want, as well. Then there's the freebie parts (and lunches ;-).

Most of all, I don't see any reason to be rude to them.

Reply to
krw

:

in

ble

any

is

of

pend a

se

ther

-

No you get to be very rude on the net, in many places......

besides here you admit to wasting sales peoples time, and their pay is likely at least partially commision.

so you waste their time, run the price down and cost the sales people money.

congrats you a excellent example of a bad person........

Reply to
bob haller

Never mind the stalker. ...just another leftist loser who can't stand being wrong. ...kinda like DimBulb.

Reply to
krw