Component Prices Rip off in Australia

I think as long as he can still fly his helicopter, he doesn't give a rat's :-(

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

rat's

Somehow, Bob, your message didn't appear on my newsreader, (via Optusnet), only Mr. T's reply. Anyway, I don't think that Dick Smith would be too pleased with the way things have gone. Way back when it mattered, I believe that he had pretty high ideals. Woolworths have done to DSE what they do to everything. It would be very interesting to hear what DS himself has to say about it all, but that's unlikely. Despite the "fresh food people" label, have you seen the quality of many of their veges etc.? Lettuces full of some sort of flies, sausages that have almost no real meat and so on ...... No wonder that DSE is f...... ... Steve

Reply to
Johnny Boy

The 'Dick Smith Way' by Ike Bain touches on this a bit.

Two points:

  1. Woolworths is an Australian company. Dick doesn't much care if things are made overseas, but he has a thing about Aussie ownership.

  1. Dick was always on top of new trends. I think he would probably rather see the company change and grow than not change and remain small.

Although during his Australian Geographic days he was very critical about whether to go for growth or not. Eg he wanted to limit subscriber numbers but was convinced otherwise.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Parker

Thanks Bob; I wrote a fair chunk of it. If there's anything you wish to add it's easy to do so, even if you're not a registered contributor.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Parker

Doesn't Garry Johnson fly an F4 Phantom? Nice one-upmanship on Tricky Dick! :->

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Funny. Wonder who owns the Woolworth's in Frankfurt then, where I bought my alarm clock?

B&^% idiot. It matter more where things are made (value created) than where they're sold. Buy Australian? Humbug! I've always thought it was more important to *sell* Australian. You can sell all the imported crap in Australia you want, and barely add a cent of value to the value of Australia. But OTOH when you make something here that the world wants to buy, that's a different story.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Are you really sure?

Yes, he wants an aussie (himself) to own as many overseas goods as possible. (And the distinction is rather stupid otherwise)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Mightn't be that easy to get out of the Powerhouse museum...

Bob Parker

rat's

6&images=&c=&s=

Are you saying he has flown no other helicopters beside that one? (But it was really meant to be metaphorical rather than literal anyway)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Peter

Reply to
Peter Parker

OK, didn't know that, that's why I didn't say you were wrong :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

It is an Australian Company:

"The similarly named Woolworths supermarkets in Australia and New Zealand are operated by Woolworths Limited, a separate company with no historical links to the F. W. Woolworth Company"

philinoz

Must be an echo on the line :-)

MrT.

Reply to