CDMA Network in Australia - 3G

There is not an increased need for base stations, per se.

And those communities that dont want one, dont get one. And they also dont get the coverage

Same tired crap argument AMPS customers used.

You can still just use voice and slow data, if thats all you want

Most users buy new handsets within 2 yrs anyway

Its a bit broader than WAP

Reply to
Michael

system

within

No such claim was ever made

Reply to
Michael

there.

Telstra made no such claim

And so does Telstra.They have no plans to stop 2G GSM, at this stage

Reply to
Michael

Agreed

Its Telstra's money

Reply to
Michael

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Wrong, as always.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Obviously when they are forced to. Too bad for those who just need a phone for emergencies eh? Not enough money to be made from them unless you force them to buy a new phone every few years I guess.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Pity about Mel Ward, Frank Blount etc who said just that.

thegoons

I wouldn;t worry about it. If it is like every other project Telstra has implemented, it will be a total f*ck-up, run late, farmers complain to Minister, they have en extension before shutting off CDMA, give some transition plans and by about 2015 CDMA will be gone.

thegoons

CDMA aint going till approx Mar 2008. That gives you plenty of time to get your act together

Reply to
Michael

: > Obviously when they are forced to. Too bad for those who just need a phone : > for emergencies eh? Not enough money to be made from them unless you force : > them to buy a new phone every few years I guess. : : CDMA aint going till approx Mar 2008. That gives you plenty of time to get : your act together : >

it won't be going at all, as the proposed replacement system isn't going to happen (in time)

by then mick, you won't be around, dickwad.

Reply to
E d

Why not, chuckles?

Reply to
Michael

Here is a Copy of a email I received from Telstra about GSM and G3..

Dear Allan,

Thank you for your email dated 5/6/06, regarding the 3G network.

Allan, the current 3G network is only available in capital cities, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Perth and Canberra. However, this

3G network currently runs on the 2100 MHz bandwidth whereas the new 3G network, that will be replacing the CDMA network, will run on the same 850MHz bandwidth as the current CDMA network.

3GSM on the 850 Mhz band is actually a very similar technology to CDMA giving us like-for-like coverage without the need for additional base stations. The existing CDMA network and the Telstra and BigPond wireless broadband services will remain in place until the services and coverage on the 3G network are the same or better.

The full extent of coverage will be available when the rollout is completed and base stations upgraded with additional software in the second half of 2007.

Current 3G (2100Mhz band) customers will continue to have access to the existing 3G service and expansion of the service in this band with their current handset. However, if these customers want the full national benefits of the new 3G coverage they will need an 850 handset, or multi-band phones, that are expected to be available in the near future.

Yours sincerely, Belinda Moyle Mobile Online

Reply to
Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for that... Looks like all I can do at this stage is wait and deal with the problem at the last miniute.

Regards,

AJ

Reply to
AJ