Trust 1-man headhunter operation?

I was recently contacted by a headhunter about a contract-to-hire position. I called back the phone number left and got the same guy immediately (no receptionist or extension). The headhunter's company has no web site, and when I did a web search for the phone number I found it associated directly with the company name. I looked up the company in the business directory on my state government's web site and found it is an apparently legitimate business, registered under this guy's name back in 1988. Since he's registered, can I trust him to not be running an identity theft or other scam?

Reply to
BubbaGump

No, of course not. But he's less likely to be a pure scam operation.

You should post the details of this recruiter here so we can warn him what an unemployable whiner you are.

Reply to
larwe

Everyone is cranky today, or at least on the groups that I frequent.

C'mon. It's memorial day. We're all alive, most of us haven't had any limbs blown off, and many of us haven't even had to serve in the armed forces.

So can we wait until tomorrow before starting any more wars?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

I'm a whiner, but I'm not unemployable, and mostly the people who are annoyed by my whining are incompetents pretending to have tech skills. You must be one of those incompetents. People with abilities tend to be a bit cynical (you call it whining) because they realize how screwed the world is.

Reply to
BubbaGump

I understand the people who question/reject the system, and I understand the people who blindly accept the system, but the people who have always made no sense to me are the ones who actively promote the system and attack the minority who question it.

Reply to
BubbaGump

I usually end up exchanging some opinion in each interview to test if the company is right. Actually, in one interview my interviewer did some complaining. He was one of those Linux guys who likes to bash (does that mean "whine" in your language?) Microsoft. I'm not fervent about this particular topic, but it's not bad to meet someone with a mind.

Reply to
BubbaGump

In my (very) limited experience, the one man outfits are the best - but all agents are a pain in the ....

I don't know if it is just a US language thing, but I would call this guy an employment agent, not a head hunter.

In my view:

  • A head hunter would be somebody that got a very tight specification for the person they were after (even the name of the person they were after), then they would research the best people in the industry (i.e. actually do something for their money) and make approaches to potential candidates - even if there target was already happily employed.

  • An agent is somebody who tries to match up a list of job openings with a list of people who are registered as interested in new employment. Normally very badly.

--
Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
A free real time kernel for 8, 16 and 32bit systems.

+ http://www.SafeRTOS.com
An IEC 61508 certified real time kernel for safety related systems.
Reply to
FreeRTOS.org

Why not ask him for 2 references. One a person he placed, and the second a company he placed someone in, ideally not the same company.

Scott

Reply to
Not Really Me

That make some sense, the reverse of how I give my references out. I guess the trick is figuring out if the references themselves can be trusted.

Reply to
BubbaGump

You haven't been around here long, to so categorize larwe. I think he was quite accurate. There are never real guarantees on anything.

--

                        cbfalconer at maineline dot net
Reply to

Specify a technical placement. Anyone who is hired to pretend to be an engineer or programmer won't be able to answer basic questions about the technology. Then investigate the company like you would any other; is it publicly traded? Does it have a website? How long does the domain record say it has been registered? Is it in the phone book of the city it is in? What does the reording say when you call after hours?

Guy Macon

Reply to
Guy Macon

Good idea. A real technical person probably wouldn't be corrupt enough to participate in a major scam, and I'm guessing a scam artist would be too lazy to occasionally do legitimate work as a front.

It's not traded nor does it have a web site, but it is in the phone book

at least).

I should try calling at 10 p.m.

Reply to
BubbaGump

It was the one guy, announcing his name and saying to leave a message. There was no mention of his recruiting company's name, so it could have easily been his home phone line. Of course, it could have just meant he had a direct line into his office/cubicle at work (I did at my old job).

Reply to
BubbaGump

Why are you so nervous about this? Its not like you are going to work for the guy himself, he is just an introduction agency. A pimp for want of a better word.

As I said before, from my experience the small outfits seem to be the best. If he is an ex engineer then he will be much more targeted in his approach. Most of my experience is coming from the recruiters point of view, rather than the candidates point of view though.