Audio only comes out on the right side of headphones! Anyone in Melbourne that can solder?

Hi everyone,

Basically, I own a pair of Denon AH-D1001 headphones.

It's been working fine for a year, but recently when I plugged it into my iPhone, only audio from the right ear came out. While the iPhone was in my pocket and was moving about (I'm assuming the cable) in my pocket, sometimes audio from the left side would be heard as well.

Just above the metal connector plug (into the iPhone), I tried bending it and squeezing it and I could maintain sound for a while - but now I can ONLY get sound from the right hand side.

Apparently, the wires at the end of the silver plug side where I connect to an external device....the wires are broken and apparently I need to:

  • Buy a new jack/plug * Solder the wires back together

So my questions are:

  • Does anyone know where I can find these sort of 3.5mm plugs? And since I'd like the highest grade, I'm looking for gold ones if possible... * Also, does anyone know who has service for soldering and fixing cables in MELBOURNE? If so, could you please give me a quote? * If not, would you by any chance know where I could get this done?

Thanks, Duncan

Reply to
thedunnyman

Dick Smith have medium-quality ones. RS have expensive and better ones. Any other electronics supplier will have something similar.

Any electronics/tv/radio/appliance repairer.

Any school-age electronics hobbyist should be able to do it in less than 10 minutes. You could do it yourself, if youhad an appropriate soldering iron.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

May or may not be so easy. Had a similar problem with a pair of Sennheisers a few years ago. The cable turned out to be that ultrafine metal braid wound around a fibre thread, was almost impossible to solder. I managed to do it but it took many goes, and breaks again whenever the cord tugs.

Reply to
Bruce Varley

Naa - it's easy. I do it every day ( AKG).

You tin the fine wires with your iron turn up to max - this melts off the lacquer and supporting synthetic threads. Hold it on it a solder 'blob' until it cooks off. Then proceed normally.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

If you do this using a Weller, you need an 800F tip - the 600F tip won't work. I had to buy a hot tip to solder polyurethane-coated guitar pickup wires ;-)

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath