Will this work for a Computer Audio Amplifier?

The audio coming directly from the green (speaker) plug on a desktop computer is too low to directly power external speakers. I bought a pair of "powered" computer speakers and they worked well for several years, although they did not have the best sound quality. I then connected the computer to an actual stereo receiver and got great sound (playing MP3s and videos, etc).

The problem was that the audio from a computer varies greatly in volume level. Some MP3's are very quiet, while others blow my ear drums, not to mention speaker damage. And websites that have audio embedded are nerve shattering.

On top of that, I decided to put the computer back in my bedroom, where it's more handy. There is no room for a large stereo in the bedroom, so I went back to those powered speakers. A few weeks ago, those powered speakers quit working. I opened them and the bare speakers still work, but the built in amplifier is dead, and I'm not even going to bother to try to repair it (probably could not get parts anyhow).

Rather than buy another pair of powered speakers, I'd rather buy a small amplifier and use some small (non-amplified) speakers which I already have. So, I went to Ebay to look for a small amp. I dont want anything that's high powered or I'll blow the speakers or my ears again. I also dont want anything expensive.

I found this one:

There are others, but this one has a power supply (wall module) included. And is in my price range. Not to mention 20W is a reasonable amount of wattage.

My question is whether this will work from the speaker plug on the computer??? (Yea, I need and have the adaptors to convert from the stereo mini-plug on the computer to the RCA plugs). My concern is whether the audio level from the computer will overload the input on this amp, or one like it?

Thanks for all help!

Reply to
boomer#6877250

should be fine, barring any issues with seller or product. A 2w rms per channel amp is only a buck from China.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Should work but you're still going to have the problem of widely varying volume.

Reply to
krw

Since the audio level FROM the computer is all over the map, expect the same (can i hear you) to !WAKE UP! levels. Try rolling your own 1920s style AVC..

Reply to
Robert Baer

It's surprising that the king of making junk into great stuff would give up so easily. Fixing them would be a great exercise in perspective. No fair using anything but rocks and string.

That's uncharacteristically expensive. Why not just pick up something abandoned by the side of the road and use that? Here in the first world, we call it the free box at the garage sale.

The weakest point in almost any system is the speaker. The smaller the speaker, the worse the problem. Hanging on a random amp won't help that. Computer speakers with subwoofers at least have a chance to improve on the deficiencies of the speakers.

I have some old Yamaha speakers I found by the side of the road that work well enough that I haven't turned on the system with the Klipschorns in years. Plug 'em into an old cellphone (also found by the side of the road) and instant mp3 player and computer speakers.

:-)

Reply to
mike

why? I don't have that problem. PC software mixer set up wrong?

lightbulbs maybe. But you need more than line out to drive those. Old fashioned phone AGCs are nonlinear, best avoided.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Are you confusing me with boomer? Or maybe it's someone I don't recognise.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

looks that way. Sounds like he needs your help. ;-)

Reply to
mike

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 20:32:04 -0800, mike Gave us:

snip

A mere 2 W is what the PC already produces.

DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, it'll probably work, but... there's a 'minimum THD' specification, but no specified maximum. A typo? I'd look at other options (heck, try the local thrift store- prices are better).

Reply to
whit3rd

On Thu, 26 Nov 2015 13:37:47 -0800 (PST), whit3rd Gave us:

That's funny.. "We guarantee it will have at least this much distortion..."

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I'm guessing it is just one of these:

the powersupply look tiny

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 14:53:13 -0600 boomer# snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in Message id: :

That's easy to fix.

JW

I'm with you, hit a few yard sales, I've seen several computer speaker systems with a subwoofer for $5 to $20. I've had an Altec Lansing system, (two satellites and a subwoofer under my computer desk) for 5 or

6 years that I bought cheap at a church sale. Even check at Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Better late than never right? I have that item Lapei amplifier. Yours might be a knockoff from the spelling so beware. Got mine from

about two years ago, used daily w/o issue.

Paired with a SoundBlaster Audigy sound card well worth the $15.00 used I paid for it I can crank it up to 1/2 max volume w/o hiss or distortion which is plenty enough being digital to blast you out of a small room.

Anything over 1/2 volume though and the distortion goes from inaudible to unbearable.

As to the variances in the mp3s' I believe lame can adjust those levels.

Reply to
Mark Justice