After circuit diagram and description Musicolour III

Back in the 70's, Electronics Australia published a kit design for a Musicolour 3. I have one that has ceased to work. Has anyone got a copy of the original circuit and circuit notes? Would appreciate a copy.

Cheers Greg Smith, WA

Reply to
gsmithwa

** That could be the one published in the December 1971 issue, with PCB labelled as " 71C12 " - OR it could be the one in September 1976, with PCB labelled as "76PC9 ".

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I read in the current issue SC that a new Musicolour project is coming in the next month or two, using a dsPIC. I wonder, would the Musicolour be the longest running and most updated Aus magazine project?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Sounds about right. Why not use a DSP/Microcontroller when a few opamps will do? Probably means they can keep the code a secret and sell pre-programmed devices...

Reply to
swanny

devices...

This one is all FFT apparently, guess it allows you to do lots of fancy stuff? Hence the dsPIC programmer in this months SC. If it's an actual SC project then the source code should be available.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones"

** I wonder if there is ANY other project published by EA , SC or ETI that is KNOWN to have caused the death of a constructor after it was sold to them as a kit by DSE ??

WARNING:

If ever you construct or attempt to service one of the several " Musicolour " projects - make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have a ELCB or " Safety Switch " in line within the AC supply to the unit whenever the lid is off.

Or you may become the second, known fatality in Australia.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

IIRC, they were switching the neutral to the load, so the lamp was floating at mains voltage, even when 'off'.

Reply to
swanny

** No - the active was switched

Which mean all the heatsinks on the triacs were permanently at 240 volts AC.

...... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Phil Allison"

** Or I should have said the COMMON heatsink was at 240V AC.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

with

devices...

I found Discolitez to be great piece of kit.

It's a free winamp plugin, and allows you to control lights according to amplitude or frequency ranges. It drives the good ol LPT port - if your PC has one these days :-\\

Ray

Reply to
Ray

I remember in incident of a person getting zapped by one of these units at the local roller skating rink back in the 1980s, by a person (probably the DJ) being "expert" without any actual knowlege of electronics, deciding to remove the cover, and leave it off (while still using the remaining channels) after failing to work out why one channel didnt work anymore. Only a matter of time before someone "touched" the insides.

Fortunately it wasnt fatal.

Also, in the same place remember seeing a series load of 12v "car headlight" style sealed beams, that were wired in series (not enough of them to make up the full 240v), some being housed in ceramic flowerpots lined with tinfoil and coloured cellophane over the top of them.

When I think back Its amazing there weren't more fatalities from electrocution.

Reply to
kreed