wifi and wpa_supplicant

Hi all,

I?m having some trouble with setting up my pis to connect to an ad-hoc network created on my laptop (OS X 10.9). I have no problem connecting to other networks. Basically, it seems that if I?m connecting to an AP, all is good. It has a problem with the ad-hoc network.

What I think my wpa_supplicant.conf should allow is connecting first to my laptop if it exists. If not, look for my home or office networks, and lastly connect to any open AP. The only one that doesn?t work is connecting to the laptop. I?ve tried both setting the laptop up so it?s wide open and using WEP. Other devices connect to the laptop without a problem, with or without password.

The situation is that I have several pis set up to start collecting time lapse photos as soon as they?re turned on. I want to be able to see what each pi is getting and offload photos to my laptop. If I?m not at home or in my studio, I won?t necessarily have a network to connect to.

Here?s what my wpa_supplicant.conf looks like now. Can anyone help me?

network={ ssid=?MacBook" priority=5 key_mgmt=NONE }

network={ ssid=?office" scan_ssid=1 psk=?password" id_str="office" priority=4 }

network={ ssid=?home" scan_ssid=1 psk=?password" id_str="home" priority=4 }

network={ key_mgmt=NONE priority=1 }

Thanks!

--
Larry Moss, http://www.airigami.com
Our next big community project: balloonmanor.com

Is there anyone that can help with this? I've done a lot of googling, but can't find anyone with this particular problem. I've seen quite a few discussions where people are having the pi set up it's own ad-hoc network if it can't find another, but that's not quite the behavior I'm looking for. I'm having trouble getting it to join another ad-hoc network. I'm guessing I'm missing something silly in the config, but I can't see it.

Thanks.

Larry Moss wrote:

--
The fine art of folding air - airigami.com
Reply to

I cant hep MUCH but I THINK from getting my linux laptop up that n stock PC linux stuff there is a GUI app to set up the config file and one of the options is to 'have multiple profiles' so it could be worth setting up a PC with some form of linux, doing that and seeing what the results are that are reflected in the config file.

Oh this may help

You haven't specified the key-mgmt protocol in your network blocks -

network={ ssid="home" scan_ssid=1 key_mgmt=WPA-PSK psk="very secret passphrase" }

if you are using eg WPA-PSK you need to say so.

see these examples

Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc?-ra-cy) ? a system of government where the least capable to
diminishing number of producers.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry it's taken a big for me to get back to saying "thanks" for trying to help. Crazy few days.

As I had mentioned, I tried setting this up on a completely open network, so I had key_mgmt=NONE.

Following your suggestion of seeing what would happen on another machine with a graphical config utilitiy, I pulled out a laptop running ubuntu. I couldn't get get it to connect to the ad-hoc network created on the Mac either. But Other Macs and iDevices connect without a problem. I'm using an Edimax EW-7811Un, so from what I'm reading, the driver and hardware should not be a limiting factor.

I did add one change to my network block below. I tried setting the mode:

network={ ssid=?MacBook" priority=5 key_mgmt=NONE mode=1 }

I tried chang> >> Is there anyone that can help with this? I've done a lot of googling, but

--
The fine art of folding air - airigami.com
Reply to
Larry Moss

Is that first quote mangled by your news or your actual editor? Because it needs to be a proper chr(34)...

Reply to
Roger Bell_West