Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar - Page 2

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

You may want to look at the industrial version of the Pi then. That can
boot via the USB OTG port (not present on the Pi). My understanding is
that you can plug it into a PC emulating a USB storage device, then get
the Pi to boot off it.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-compute-module-new-product/

Gordon

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

The Compute Module will try to boot from USB-OTG if there is no boot
image available on the onboard flash storage - exactly the same as the
Model A Pi can do via its USB port and SD card.

The main use for this is to load a USB Mass Storage Driver which allows
the CM/PI-A's storage to be available as USB mass-storage to load a boot
image on it.

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

Ah, it's the other way round - that probably makes more sense. Didn't
realise it could be done on the A either. Will get one on Monday while
waiting on my CM to arrive to make sure I can boot it!

Cheers,

Gordon

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

It's not going to happen - unless you write the TFTP bootloader then
put it on the SD card.

Basically, the SD card is crucial to the Pi booting - it won't boot
without it.

One option might be to put the kernel on the SD card then NFS mount the
rest of it from a server. Myself and others are doing this.

Gordon

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

Yes, I know. I had in mind the SD card having something like a PXE client on
it. Then the Pi would effectively boot across the network; the PXE client
would take the place of a PXE ROM.

James

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

I'd like to do the opposite, use the Pi as the PXE server.

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

That is no problem, just install and configure DHCP server and TFTP
server packages.

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

Thanks

--

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety,
 deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Re: Network boot the Raspberry Pi from a PXE server or similar

easy enough I suppose if your bootloader contains a USB stack.

--
umop apisdn

Site Timeline