How does RPI3 perform as Web terminal?

How well does the RPI3 running the latest version of Raspian perform as as Web client for things like viewing dynamic (animated) web pages and accessing e-commerce sites like Amazon? I played a little with an RPI2 and it wasn't horrible on the Web, but Epiphany (then) had some trouble with viewing things like YouTube videos and animated weather maps.

Thanks for reading, and any guidance

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska

Epiphany as released with the current Raspbian still has trouble. Crashes frequently with segfaults. The Raspbian version is a few updates behind leading-edge Epiphany browser, so I perhaps might avoid the problems if I built from scratch. This is on a Pi3 with 32G flash chip, and Raspbian release from early October, IIRC, with current apt-get upgrades.

Mel.

Reply to
Mel Wilson

Current Raspbian (With "Pixel" desktop) has switched to Chromium. Epiphany is installed but not even in the menu, I think. So this should be good for modern web pages but probably doesn't work very well on a RPi2 let alone RPi1.

Reply to
A. Dumas

I use iceweasel (debain's build of Firefox). It works, but is sluggish on complex web pages. Haven't looked to see if that lot's of file i/o under the covers, or if it's because the working set size is bumping up against ramsize.

Mostly, I'm using it for my own Javascript/AJAX application, and it works fine for that.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel

I'm not terribly concered about snappy performance, just looking for a browser that's usable. This will be on a Pi3 (it seems that the Pi2 is becoming quite scarce) using microSD for the boot device and USB flash for the outboard filesystem.

Is iceweasel in the Raspbian package system, or did you have to compile it locally?

Many thanks!

bob prohaska

Reply to
bob prohaska