File System and Corruption

i had a terrible experience with kingston SD. in one month 8 of 10 SD card broken or permanently die.

Reply to
writethem

nice reading!

Reply to
writethem

Before I bought a Kingston SD card I did some research. {people who experienced failures - well several who reported this took theirs to pieces.

They were not Kingston. They were fakes.

I bought mine direct from Kingston.

It's been fine.;-)

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same with Transcend. All my Raspberries run on Transcend cards but lately I bought a 32GB card that turned out to be a fake. Its capacity is only 8GB although the label and descriptor says 32GB. It works "OK" when formatted as 8GB but of course fails when some automatic procedure expands the FS to the full card size (as is done in some OS distributions). I have not stress-tested it but I presume it is prone to other mishaps as well.

A brand name on the card does not guarantee anything as they are simply counterfeited.

Reply to
Rob

ehm... i have buy this SD from a valid ditributors. i'm sure isn't fake.

Reply to
writethem

Yeah, we started with Kingston, but after bricking 5 or 6 switched to Transcend.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

Ours come from a trusted importer/wholesaler, will crack a dead one open on monday.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

then it will be under warranty and you can get a replacement cant you?

rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. ? Erwin Knoll
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If all you're doing is writing a load of files in one go, copying then deleting them, you're not creating the situation where the flash controller is overworked and blocks are erased excessively.

Reply to
Rob Morley

If you have any doubts, try this:

--
J B Good
Reply to

It's its vintage that makes it so reliable. It harks back to the days of nand flash with erase write cycles ratings in the 10 to 100 thousands and no complex wear levelling controller in sight.

Ccomplex wear levelling is the price we have to pay for SSDs with

128GB and larger capacities achieved using MLC nand chips with erase/write cycle ratings measured in mere hundreds to thousands of cycles.

Progress isn't always for the better, especially with SSD technology. The lack of a complex wear levelling controller on that ancient 512MB thumb drive gives it immunity to the abuse of sudden power loss and even ejection events mid write that can so easily screw a modern SSD.

--
J B Good
Reply to

I fdisk/format to ext3, ext3, ext4, fat16, and ntfs. Depends on the customer.

use rsync and windog utilities. The files are deleted, shrank, extended, as well as adding and deleting. Also there are git repos on the drive. I start with a clean drive and when the project is completed months later there are 1000's of modify/delete/create cycles.

The files are cad files with some text and pdf files.

Reply to
Baho Utot

======== I've got 2 working rPi and 5 SD-cards.

The one rPi, I use to listen to TextToSpeech, with the only control being the power on/off switch. By switching it off during one-of-the

2 speech-prompts, I can: mark the file that was played, to NOT play on next power-up cycle, restore the original file-name to be able to replay ..., power-cut during play [not wait for prompt] leaves the sound-file renamed to not play during future power-cycles.

Originally I had problems, until someone here pointed out that I needed to after renaming the files, and before cutting power.

Although I don't use the TextToSpeech-SD for much else, I've never had any indication of file corruption, from power-down while rPi was working. This controlling via power-down, at chosen stages of the sound-file playing has been used ca. 50 times a week for 20 weeks with no known problems.

Reply to
Unknown