Usual failure modes of magnetrons?

Greetings All, I have a Sharp brand "Half Pint" 400 watt microwave oven my wife and I bought new in 1986. The thing still works like new. I use it now in my shop because we have bought more powerful microwave ovens over the years to use in our house. We have bought more than one because the magnetrons in the others failed. At least I think the magnetrons failed because there was still really high voltage going to the magnetrons and the other oven functions worked (timer, digital display, etc.). So I was wondering why my old Sharp Half Pint oven still works and how magnetrons failed. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Magnetrons are still vacuum tubes with heaters in them. They are probably made in China and quality control is letting crap out the door.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I think the

has information about diagnosing microwave ovens.

I had one magnetron fail when its permanent magnet (3" or so disk with a large hole in the middle) cracked, and another one developed a short in one of its feed-through capacitors where the high voltage went into it.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

How did you measure the "really high voltage going to the magnetron"???

Reply to
mike

Sorry, you are wrong. CE aka China Engineering aka Crap Enforcement doesn`t let quality in, so there is no quality production :]

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger              15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay            mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox

snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

usually,the MW output drops,perhaps from reduced cathode emission. or the filament opens,they don't last forever. :-) or internal arcing causes the PS fuse to blow.

Not much else to go wrong.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Yes, that is true, in some cases. On the other hand, I buy GPS receiver assemblies, complete with antenna, by the thousands from China and have never had a bad one.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Good to hear, that not every product is controlled by Crap Enforcement :)

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Allinger              15h00..21h00 MEZ: SKYPE:wolfgang.allinger
Paraguay            mailer: CrossPoint XP 3.20 (XP2) in WinXPprof DOSbox
Meine 7 Sinne:                                    reply Adresse gesetzt!
Unsinn, Schwachsinn, Bloedsinn, Wahnsinn, Stumpfsinn, Irrsinn, Loetzinn.
Reply to
Wolfgang Allinger

As someone said, there's not much to go wrong on the power side. Magnetron can fail, either catastrophically or go low gain and not oscillate. There's a HV transformer with a pile-wound secondary that could short out (likely blowing a fuse) and a voltage doubler diode/ capacitor that could fail (either, but a cap failure would take out the diode.) See

Safety! Microwave oven can give lethal electric shocks! Never try to measure ANY voltages while oven is ON. Always discharge the HV capacitor before touching ANY connection in the MW oven. See safety note on above website. If you don't know what you are doing, DON'T try to fix MW ovens. Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Roger Jones

** Magnetrons for Sharp microwave ovens made in China back in 1986 ????

That was the era when Japan and Taiwan were dominant.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"Jim Yanik"

** Must be some cases of loss of vacuum.

Affects lots of valves, big and small.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've dissected a few microwave ovens to salvage transformers and for fun.

I've found cracked magnets on a few magnetrons.

I don't know if a cracked magnet would cause the failure of a magnetron, if that was the root cause of the failures or if some other failure caused the magnets to crack.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Every one I have ever salvaged had low magnetron output or a bad HV transformer. Never seen a cracked magnet. But those old magnets are great for fooling around with as they ar so strong.

Reply to
hrhofmann

(...)

I wonder if a cracked magnet could cause low microwave output?

Sounds like a chicken and egg problem. Excessive power dissipation in the magnetron might cause a magnet to crack. (Line transient perhaps?) The cracked magnet would push the magnetron away from cutoff, forcing it to dissipate more power which heats the magnets, etc.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

re

Like you we have a small Goldstar oven that we got as an incentive for visiting a time share back around 1985. The thing has a simple wind up clock timer that rings a bell when it runs down. It too has worked flawlessly all these years. I've been repairing consumer electronics all my life and although I've never heard the term before I firmly believe that "crap engineering" is in everything today and is definitely alive and well in China. Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

are

I'm old enough to remember when we used to pick up a 'broken' item and pretend to read a label on it, musing out loud, "Oh, I see what's wrong. MADE IN JAPAN." ThenJapan got their act together and became one of the best suppliers of high quality opticselectronics/musical instruments.

So, ...the lesson? it is apparently far easier to continue to make things cheap, but learn how to make them well rather than continue to make things well, but learn how to make them cheap. Shudder

Reply to
Robert Macy

ts are

So the "lesson" is: don't throw out your old stuff. Maintain it as long as you can because, (and sadly), "they just don't make em like that any more".....Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

HV

nets are

True. You're talking to a guy that spent 3 hours to fix an $8 hairdryer. The hairdryer worked longer after the 'fix' than it did between purchase and failure.

Same with a repaired Hamilton Beach Brew Station Deluxe Coffee Machine. Originally a company had it in service for 1 year, it broke, they 'threw' it away. I repaired it and it has been working in our firm for over two years and is still going!

Reply to
Robert Macy

magnets are

The new planned obsolescence.

Reply to
josephkk

agnets are

Hey Lenny, A repairman once told me that opening the door before the timer stopped the operation was bad for the magnetron. He said the unexpected interruption w as a shock that over time led to more frequent magnetron failures. Do you have any knowledge or opinion about this? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
kevin.kb.brandon