Toshiba Cinema series 36" Intermittent No Picture

We got a used TV for free (Thank you, FREECYCLE!) and when it works, it works really well. However it has an intermittent problem of no picture.

This is a Toshiba Cinema series CN36H95 manufactured 1998, 36" with a picture tube (CRT?).

The picture intermittently won't work when we power on the television. We usually can jimmy with it and get it to work. Once the picture is reliably on, it stays on until we turn off the power.

The sound works fine even when the picture isn't on and the channel changing works too. I have a VCR and a DVD player hooked up to it and a rooftop antenna. We don't have cable TV.

The ways we can get the power to come on are by tapping or banging on the front of the TV at the bottom, near where the connectors and control buttons are. Also, my husband has had some success with jamming something rigid (like a screwdriver or metal rod) underneath the front edge of the TV, about 1/3 from the left of the TV. We leave it there and usually when we can't get the picture to come on, just wiggling this will bring the picture up. Sometimes putting something heavy on TOP of the TV will help.

All these methods make me think that there must be a loose or dirty connection in the front part of the TV, near the bottom.

My husband did take off the back off the TV and blow some dirt out of there. It was REALLY dirty. The people before us must have been smokers, from the looks of things. We also took apart the remote and cleaned it and it was really yukky with yellow grime.

I think what we need to do is get into the front of this TV somehow and clean it and make sure all the connections are tight. What we don't know is how to take off the front, if there even is a way. Once we have it off, what do we need to check? How should we clean it? What is there to be careful of?

My husband is generally very handy - can fix just about anything (furnace, VCR, automobiles, etc...). However, he hasn't had a lot of experience fixing televisions and I want to make sure the problem isn't made worse. Even though it's kind of inconvenient, usually we can get the TV to work with some prodding and jimmying. I'd hate for it to be ruined, since we cannot afford to get anything else, not even used.

Any input would be helpful. I have skimmed through the information at repairfaq.org and found it fascinating. However, I don't know enough about TV's to discern what will be helpful since I don't see our exact problem listed. Even some information on which section to read thoroughly would be appreciated.

Thanks so much! Lisaquing

Reply to
Lisaquing

I meant PICTURE. "The ways we can get the PICTURE to come on"

Sorry for any confusion.

Lisaquing

Reply to
Lisaquing

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 17:55:08 -0800 (PST), Lisaquing put finger to keyboard and composed:

You need to remove the board(s) and check the solder side for dry solder joints. Reflow any bad joints that you find, particularly in the areas where you see that the board has been discoloured due to heat. Resolder all the transformers and coils regardless of their visible condition. Replace the small electrolytic capacitors in the power supply with low ESR types. Watch out for the high voltage capacitors -- they may retain significant charge even after you disconnect the set from the mains. If you need to remove the anode cap from the CRT, follow the instructions in the FAQ. The CRT can still bite you, even several hours after you *think* you've completely discharged it.

Good luck.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Franc means printed circuit boards when he says "boards".

When you say the picture won't turn on, do you mean the screen stays dark, or does it light up, but just no "picture/video" information on the screen? Does the sound come on and off completely normally using the remote to turn the set on and off? If the set has a picture tube/ CRT, when you turn on the tv, do the hairs on your/his arm stand up. If they do, then that is an indication that the high-voltage for the CRT is turning on correctly. If there is no high-voltage, then you have narrowed down the problem to a much smaller portion of the chassis.

Reply to
hrhofmann

, or does it light up, but just no "picture/video" information on the scree= n? =A0

The screen stays dark. Once we "adjust" it (wiggle things around, tap/ bang on the chassis), we can usually get the picture to show up. Sometimes we get a static-y or snowy picture.

Does the sound come on and off completely normally using the remote to turn the set on and off?

Yes, the sound works normally using the remote to turn the TV on/off.

=A0If the set has a picture tube/CRT, when you turn on the tv, do the hairs on your/his arm stand up. If they do, then that is an indication that the high-voltage for the

e narrowed down the problem to a much smaller portion of the chassis.

Yes, the hairs on my arm stand up.

We have not yet attempted the circuit board repairs as described by Frank. Hopefully sometime this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisaquing