time delay switch

I'm looking for a delay switch for a bathroom fan and I haven't found any that have exactly what I want -

- adjustable time interval from a few minutes to, say, 1/2 hour. I'd rather not get one that just has a few choices for time interval. You can get one that gives you 5,10,15, 30 or on-until-switched-off choices, but I'd like to have it completely adjustable.

- time delay interval controllable on the outside of the faceplate

- doesn't make noise. Spring timers all click as I've heard, so not a spring timr.

What the delay switch does, is you can leave the fan on after you leave the bathroom, for an adjustable time.

The closest thing I've found is this:

It has a delay of up to an hour. I don't know why anybody would want to keep the fan on in the bathroom for an entire hour after leaving, but I guess it's conceivable. So I'd live with that.

But it's designed so the time delay adjustment is hidden behind the faceplate, and changed with a screwdriver. I want to have the delay adjustment on top of the faceplate. So there would be a sort of screwdriver blade attached to a knob, anchored to the faceplate somehow.

Any ideas about how to do this, so it would work reliably?

Alternatively, I'm sure it's possible to get a circuit that will do the delay function. If the guts of it could be covered over so it looks nice

- I could buy a wood faceplate and cut circular holes in it for the knobs - that would also do. It would have to fit in a gang box, or whatever they call the metal box that switches are enclosed in.

Laura

Reply to
Lacustral

... perhaps a VERY big smell?

Reply to
Farticus

Bathroom fan should be continuous, like the fan on a CPU. NBD

Since the time man has done his business in the space where he lives, the stench will not leave w/o 24/7 exhaust.

Reply to
ctyguy

Perhaps one of these timers might suit your purpose. Might take a bit of mechanical work to install but shouldn't be too hard.

Dave M

Dave M