Sloppy video card

The PC that had this Nvidia GTX 670 graphics card in it refuses to start any recent variant of Linux I try on it via a USB live installer, it shows the boot/BIOS and splash screens OK but ends up with a black screen or garbled graphics. Still not sure if it's a hardware or driver issue, but...

This is the side of the GPU PCB facing upwards in the tower:

Looks like thermal grease dripped all over it from somewhere. Related?

Reply to
bitrex

Have you verified that it's thermal grease? Looks almost like some form of corrosion.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Did you clean it off ??

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

This card is toast. The white stuff is corrosion from most likely water or some other spilled liquid. Given the extent of the corrosion, I would dou bt that this card is salvageable. The corrosion has likely eaten through t he contacts under some of the ICs.

You can try cleaning this off, but I doubt it will help.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices