Semi-OT: Rewiring Whole House

Any, repeat, any reasonable insurance company that has any, repeat, any exp erience with old houses will accept K&T wiring as a matter of course. Our h ouse was built in 1890, and is by no means the oldest house in the neighbor hood. Visible from our front door are houses from 1850 through 1963, with t he preponderance built from about 1895 to about 1915. All but the 1960s hou se *will* have K&T wiring in them. The 1963 house will have ungrounded NM a nd thin-gauge grounded NM wire - no prize there either.

Our insurance company did send an inspector to check our wiring if only bec ause we have 'full historical replacement' insurance. But we got a clean bi ll and no issues or additions to our premium caused by vintage wiring still in use (lighting circuits only). We do have a 200A service, and extensive new wiring, by the way. Not as if we are Luddites.

Any company with such an exclusion would eliminate 2/3 of Cheltenham Townsh ip from coverage. Our oldest occupied house is from 1689.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Thanks, missed that.

On the other hand folks reading this may be looking for solutions in their situations so I try to frame my answers for a larger group than just the OP's requirements.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks for the info. Here in Canada it was getting harder to get insurance for K&T back in the early 00s, but I sold my house before it became a problem, and - as you say - there are probably enlightened insurance companies who will cover you once the house has an electrical inspection.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

It would be nice if all properties installed electrical conduit. But nearly all residential wiring, BX, MC, Romex (copper 12-3 or including a super-ne utral 10 wire instead) that's been installed is attached to the walls won't pull anymore. You'd first have to get behind the walls and un-attach at ea ch and every attach point in order to re-pull. Even from branch to panel.

Reply to
bruce2bowser