toroid winding house

Hi everybody I am looking tor somebody to advise me on power toroid winding (how many turn may realistically be squeezed in the core). E.g.: core dimensions are ID=16.3mm, height-11.1mm; I need to wind x turns, What is the thickest wire I can use? Small volume coil winding house reference would be appreciated. Thanks Michael

Reply to
Michael

Depends on whether you are attempting to get to a specific inductance or if you are just trying to stuff it full of high current capacity wire.

You also need way more nomenclature about your core.

Wall thickness center hole diameter outer diameter, height laid flat.

What you are trying to do with it (mH desired, etc...)

Lootsa links on google, under "winding toroids" search, most have electrical characteristics in a table (or three), I am sure there will be one that has maximum 'stuffage' numbers

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

...and don't forget the option of using wire with a square cross-section.

Reply to
Robert Baer

ce

e.

t.

be

%%%...whether you are attempting to get to a specific inductance... I have working prototype(s) where I have to much losses in Cu (the coils were wound with 2x20AWG - handy, easy to deal with. I estimated that I can fit 30 turns of 12AWG in Ferroxcube TX42/26/18. I managed to fit only 29 turns - 12AWG is not very easy to deal with (or I have to work on my arms more ;o) ) . That is why I wanted to talk to people who do it professionally.

Square wire? Yes , I have heard of it. This

looks even more interesting. I need to talk to professional about former. Square wire must be trickier to wound. Latter is not set up for our volumes (1k/year tops). Oooops!

Reply to
Michael