safe to use microwave after spark

Hello,

A family member mistakenly hit the Cook button instead of the Timer and a small spark was seen. He immediately shut off the power and everything looks good.

Is it safe to use if all parts are still intact?

Thanks for you advise.

Reply to
lora

Dont do it tooo often :)

But I have those sparks occasionally when there is a very small portion inside, or something with metal on it, plates with a nice gold border painted on give nice fireworks, also you should try a (worthless) cd sometime. Then an old,broken lamp or a burning candle is quite funny.

Put a glass of water inside to keep the magnetron happy, they dont like a no-load situation, as you found out. With no-load, the field-strength becomes high enough to cause sparks (and damage).

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

So put a cup of water in and see if it will heat up. It either will or will not. My prediction is it will be fine.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

It would help if you told us where the spark was seen, inside the oven,, inside the control area, etc??!!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

It was inside the oven. Saw a spark when the microwave turned on.

Earlier, we had seen a spark when cooking a frozen package of steamfresh veggies and this had caused the board that is attached on the interior top of the microwave to be partially torn. Not sure what the purpose of the board in the interior top part of the microwave is for.

Anyways, thanks and let me know what you think. BTW, we used it today and it works. My mother can smell some burning odor, but no one else can. The parts at the bottom look intact.

Thx

Reply to
lora

It's the wave guide cover. It's a sheet of mica that has fractured and needs replacement.

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian C