safe to use a different charger?

Hi all, forgive me if this is a ridiculous question. I'm really not sure if electricity isn't just a fancy word for magic! I have a ac charger for my laptop that is 19V and 6A I also have an ac charger that is not made for my laptop, but is 19V and 3A Is it safe to use the second charger with my laptop, or will the battery explode, killing me and those I hold dearest? Cheers in advance! Tony

Reply to
Brotherwarren

Well...I don't think it will explode...might catch fire...

Seriously, if the original is rated at 6 amps and the second one rated at only 3 amps, you'll have problems.

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Three amps isn't enough to charge the battery properly. It will either shut down, or overheat and die. Questions of this nature belong on news:sci.electronics.basics anyway.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

thanks MichaelA Terrell. Seriously. Any chance you could do service for the REST of the world and convince your government to stop invading other countries. Sorry, where do comments of that nature belong?

Many thanks to DecaurTxCowboy

Reply to
Brotherwarren

About as much chance as your sorry ass stopping the rest of the world from fighting.

Anywhere but here.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

HUH ????

Reply to
DecaturTxCowboy

Brotherwarren, The current output of your second charger is probably too small. It might actually work, but it will probably get very warm. A second consideration is polarity. I don't have a laptop and I don't know if there is a standard receptacle/polarity which is used. But if the two don't match, then you run the risk of destroying your lap top.

flank

Reply to
flank