SAA3018 remote handset chip.

No luck (so far) with Google, I tried with & without the 'P' suffix, and also tried a general search for "remote control" in the hope a datasheet would turn up in an online repository somewhere.

There were a few links to a "SAA3018" datasheet - but the actual file turned out to be for the SAA3010.

Hand tracing is going to be difficult, the PCB has 3 layers of resist: first layer - solder resist, second layer - carbonisation for buttons resist and third layer for track bridging links.

The remote has been wet, the top layer of resist has blistered and peeled, and taken the bridging links with it.

The 3010 datasheet I found has too many pins - The 3008 has the right number of pins, and the pinout matches what little of the circuit I was able to trace. No doubt the 3008 & 3018 differ mainly in features and functions.

The correct datasheet would be nice - but at this point I could probably get more info from example schematics of remotes that use the SAA3018.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Ian Field

Philips? Have you tried subbing the resonator with whatever is at hand, in the first instance?

Reply to
N_Cook

AFAIK its RC5 or some variant thereof (upto 20 "addresses" each of upto 64 buttons) with a pulse rate of 38kHz - which is divided down from a 455kHz resonator.

What would I hope to accomplish by experimenting with different resonators?

Reply to
Ian Field

I assumed you had a non-working r/c . What sort of date ?

Reply to
N_Cook

Date code is 84-17, but no makers logo.

Philips do SAA prefix remote chips above & below that number - but no datasheet found for that particular one.

What little circuit I could trace from the water damaged PCB, matches the pinout for the SAA3008 - the PCB had a 3rd resist layer for bridging interconnects on the tracks to the keypad, that blistered and peeled.

Reply to
Ian Field

"Ian Field" schreef in bericht news:rS3St.29220$ snipped-for-privacy@fx20.am...

The Philips SAA3007, SAA3008 and SAA3009(=~SAA3049) have al 20 pins. Mayby the pinout and functions are quite similar, I did not check. The SAA3009 datasheet however provides some schematics that might be usefull. So have a look.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

The bit of circuit I was able to trace is the IRLED driver that is pretty much common to most of the different chips.

The top resist that blistered and peeled, taking with it the keypad track linking bridges, includes the tracks that hardwire the address page of button codes - some of the chips in this family can have a total of over

2000 codes, arranged as upto 20 address pages of upto 64 buttons per address.

This chip could be something else to try when my scanning 8 in one URC doesn't find the right code - I only need to identify the off button row/column and use a row of jumpers to sel;ect the code set address.

AFAIK these chip are RC5 standard - a hit on one of the address pages would give me some sort of clue before I start rummaging the box of spare remotes.

Reply to
Ian Field