replacement cpacitors

When restoring the old tube equipment (tube receivers ) does it make any difference if the old paper capacitors are replaced iwth the ceramic disk or should another type be used ?

I know for RF one needs to use capacitors that are rated for rf but in the audio stages does it really matter what kind of capacitor is used as long as it is the correct value ?

Reason for asking is that I bought an old receiver that someone has replaced many of the capacitors. The book says pape capacitors for some but they have been replaced by the ceramic disk type.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

a lot of ceramic caps suffer severe loss of capacity once a few volts are applied. If it works fine, great. If the limited amount of original bass has vanished, that might be why. If rf drifts all over the place as mains voltage varies...

It depends on the type of ceramic, some don't suffer this but most do.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Mylar and polyester film caps are better than ceramic disk type for most pu rposes. Ceramic disk types are better than foil and paper if the foil and p aper caps are more than a few hours old.

This also applies to Russian PIO caps - the latest fad in boutique audio. T hey are no better than they should be, and, for the record, less safe and l ess reliable than their Mylar/polyester equivalents. What they 'sound' like is irrelevant as unless the initial quality is truly wretched, capacitors of any given class sound no different than other capacitors of that class, whatever the price-tag.

Correct value is the key, and then the environment and requirement for prec ision. Modern Silver Mica caps are very precise, very stable and resist he at and accept harsh environments. Then down the line to mylar, ceramic disc , polyester. But the reality is that a consumer-grade receiver is a very ge ntle environment overall.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

it also can cause nonlinear distortion if C is changing as signal voltage changes.

The other cap type to be a bit cautious of in valve kit is polystyrene, the dielectric has low melting point.

The issues with electrolytics & paper are relatively well known.

Oh, also beware of reduced voltage rails that go very high during warm-up. Caps there might need 400v+ rating despite running at 20v.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Thanks, I may replace the 'replaced' capacitors with some of the 'Orange Drop' ones I have if I ever pull the receiver back out of the case.

I am using it a boat anchor station from around the time I was born along with a Johnson Viking ll transmitter. By the time I was old enough to get into electronics much had switched to solid state, but I did learn enough to do repair work but replace like parts with like parts except the paper capacitors with the newer tublar type. As mentioned electrolytics do tend to dry out after 50 years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

NB: the bar on Orange Drops is the side _away_ from the outside foil!

CHeers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
https://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** See:

The author use a 5 digit "Gen Rad" LCR meter to demonstrate differences in various types tempcos.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WAAT! Why would they want to be different?

--
Boris
Reply to

Dunno. I discovered this on Paul Carlson's YouTube channel--he made an outside-foil detector gizmo and tried it out.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It would have been a lot cheaper and more convincing to have sacrificed a c apacitor and open it up. If it were important, I would pay this price befo re I put my faith in a claim of a non-standard marking on the part, based o n the old adage that extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

Reply to
jfeng

Suit yerself, or watch the video. You probably don't believe that tantalums are marked on the positive side either. ;)

Carlson wanted a test gizmo for many caps used in his antique radio and test equipment restorations. Some of them are fun, though a bit slow-paced for experts, of course.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs