Need connector type name for AC adapter

I've google'd the net and search this forum, but no luck. So,.......

I've encountered two of these little beasties this week. It starts with a wall wart style AC adapter, plug-connected to a small cable, which in turn is connected to a 12 VAC miniature halogen bulb. They are used to illuminate floor-standing bubbling lamps, and other similar decorative lights.

The connector, and what it might be called, is the bear! The male plug is molded rubber, and the two connectors are a flat blade, 3/8 inch long, about 1/8 inch wide. Near that is a round pin-like prong, probably 1/16 in. or a little larger diameter. The configuration looks kind of like this from the top (proportions are WAY off!):

o ___

This plugs into a wall wart style Class II transformer, low wattage (15-20W), and the output is 12 VAC (don't know the amperage, but it only needs to drive the miniature halogen bulb). The bulb look like overhead projector lamps.

Now, my problem: I need to find a replacement wall wart transformer. I've searched various suppliers including Mouser.com. I can find transformers with the proper electrical characteristics, BUT the secondary/output connector type is seldom described (if there is no cord attached to it). And, I don't know the name of this connector type so I can put it into a search engine.

Any help GREATLY appreciated!

Lakeside

Reply to
me

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 00:35:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

2 pin DIN plug/jack/socket?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

DIN Loudspeaker plug.

I've seen it used on a friend's 12V halogen lamp too ! It's forever falling out when he knocks it.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Almost certainly a DIN speaker plug. An electronics supplier (Radio Shack?) should have them.

--
*Money isn?t everything, but it sure keeps the kids in touch

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Why not take the opportunity to change the plugs to the normal DC plug & socket ??

--

Cheers ......... Rheilly P

Where theres a will, I want to be in it.
Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

The male end kind of looks like the DP2M jack, lower left corner of the page. Of course, what I need is a wall wart that has the female counterpart of that.

Great lead--many thanks, Frank.

Lakeside

Reply to
me

Dave and Eeyore,

Could be. But what I need is a wall wart with the female counterpart of this plug. Could be RS might just have them. Many thanks for the tip.

Lakeside

Reply to
me

Yup, could do that in the particular application. Just trying to save some wiring, splicing, soldering, though. I figure if I found two devices using this same kind of connector in one week, they gotta be around somewhere!

Lakeside

Reply to
me

I doubt you'll get a generic wall wart fitted with one. You'll need to solder one on. They are available as line sockets.

--
*Women like silent men; they think they're listening.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are, but the requirement is for a 12 volt AC type for low voltage lamps fitted with a 2 pin DIN line socket. Which isn't included on those star type connectors.

--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 21:25:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have seen that type of socket in transformers for Christmas lights.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

As Frank said, it seems that you have a 2-pin DIN connector.

Most novelty items, cheap garden lights etc. have the same type of power supply with a 2-pin DIN connection. Most of them are 12V and usually interchangeable.

I remember using a power supply intended for garden lights to power a mini novelty disco ball/light which had a 2-pin DIN socket.

Franc Zabkar Wrote:

--
M.Joshi
Reply to

Some of the more common multi-pin din sockets will take plugs with less pins.

The OP might not want to break open a wall wart, but last time I needed an AC one for a Hayes modem I opened an adjustable wall-wart and linked out the rectifier, the LED can continue to work as well by adding an anti-parallel

1N4148 to protect it from reverse voltage and reduce the resistor to compensate for only conducting on half cycles.
Reply to
ian field

The DIN 2 pin is unique - it has one large flat pin and one small round - the OP gave an ascii drawing.

It's true that there is an intentional allowing of some pin combinations to mate with a different socket - this was to allow a degree of mono compatibility when stereo arrived. Hence the rather strange pin out of a 5 pin DIN designed for stereo in and out to say a tape recorder.

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One large flat pin and one very small round pin sounds very much like a loudspeaker plug!

Reply to
ian field

Yup - that's exactly what it is - or rather was. I hope no quality maker would be daft enough to use them these days - nasty things.

But I can confirm they're used for low voltage lighting - I've got a couple here.

--
*Modulation in all things *