Mission MS10 Subwoofer s53ami component

Hi there! I have a mission ms10 subwoofer. It died a few months ago and since the local engineer looked at it, it seems that I need a new component for it called a "s53 ami" power amplifier module. The company that originally manufactured the board have gone out of business and I have emailed Hardman Karmon, Jbl and Mission about the problem and they say I may as well throw it away!! Can anyone please help me with this as I really don't want to throw it away!! Thanks

Robin

snipped-for-privacy@supanet.com

--
jetskimatty
Reply to

Look up Parts Express on the web. They has a variety of 'plate' subwoofer amps, one of which might be a drop-in replacement for yours. If not, I'll bet they have something which could be adapted for around $100.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

jetskimatty wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com:

If you do some Googling, as I just did, you will find out that you are not the only person in the world who had this problem with a subwoofer powered by the S53AMI. The web is full of people whose sub stopped working when the S53AMI blew. Transistors blew up. A capacitor had a bad habit of blowing up. When they replaced the S53AMI, the replacement blew up.

The speaker manufacturers (including JBL and Infinity) and their factory service centers had lots of problems on their hands with replacing S53AMIs and making modifications to the circuit to try to make it more reliable. They finally gave up on repairing units and instead offered discounts on more recent subwoofer models. And then the S53AMI wasn't available any more.

There's an interesting discussion thread over at

where some audio freaks actually opened the metal can and removed the epoxy encapsulation of an S64AMI (similar to your S53AMI) so they could trace the circuit and measure component values. What they found is very discouraging. They say it's a digital amp, class D, Harris circuit. No heat sinks on the output transistors. And poor circuit design throughout, making for a very cheap module to build, but very poor reliability.

In summary, you *don't* want to replace the S53AMI in your subwoofer, even if you could find one. You want to buy a new, different amplifer to replace what's in your subwoofer, as another poster has suggested. They are not that expensive, and will put new life into your subwoofer. So you don't have to throw it away!

Reply to
Jim Land

Lovely Job thanks. I'll look for another amp to put inside it then. Thanks everyone for all your help!!

Rob

--
jetskimatty
Reply to