Gooey perished rubber drive bands, revisited

This time a compact 1979 Aiwa L22, as always all the bands are perished, that contagion again . I decided, this time, to liberally caster talcum powder around the contaminated parts , my hands and goo pickers. Operating at that stage , dry and dusty, avoided smearing on other parts, to remove the bulk of the mess. Then meths on tissue paper and meths for general smeared areas and some wool dunked in meths to run around the pulley edges to clean out the gullies. Anyone ever tried freezer spray? My own cut silicone rubber bands will go back in there

Reply to
N_Cook

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 16:42:08 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote as underneath my scribble :

Just querying what this refers to? Having recently been through a third band replacement with my ancient Aiwa FX-90 (part of system rack) and had to bodge with an undersize band from eBay as originals no longer available! C+

Reply to
Charlie+

Originals are of course as near to perished as the ones you're having to replace. I tend to use silicone rubber as much more available from "pound shops" / kitchen supply shops etc rather than large minimum square metreage of industrial neoprene rubber supply companies, techniques buried in the 3x tips files off my site

The wide band for this Aiwa I will use a ring from one of those squash down silicone rubber funnels , , just a shame about the lurid colours of the rubber eg ,
In the UK I get them from Matalan, gives 20 bands of a good range of lengths and if 3mm wide then can be split for 40 bands. The slight set to the band does not seem to matter for centalising the band on baluster pinions

Reply to
N_Cook

Places that repair hydraulics have a huge selection of o-rings in round and square types.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

2 troubles with that is its ok slicing a square into 4 say but only 2 of them would have a fair face on one side, to go against the drive pulley. I've tried slicing circular O rings, physically worked but the rubber seems to be too stiff ,whatever the technical term is , restitution?, lack of stretch for a given cross section area
Reply to
N_Cook

You have to do everything the hard way. There are many different compounds used to make the hydraulic seals, with no need to cut them. They also stock rolls of round & square stock to make custom seals from.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

wrote

third

and

seems

The main problem with keeping old mechanical kit going is the requirement for wide bands for bulbous balluster pulleys, and I've never seen that format used as neoprene seals , neccessity being the mother and all that

Reply to
N_Cook

On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 09:23:22 +0100, "N_Cook" wrote as underneath :

Thanks for the pointer and for posting all that mass of useful information... C+

Reply to
Charlie+

I stated that "Different compounds are available". I never mentioned neoprene.

..

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thats the main flat band sorted, the rest are less critical. Original unstretched 285mm x approx 3.5x1.5mm. Area for area, silicone is more stretchy than neoprene , so about 50% allowance for that, a now working band of unstretched 250mm x 4x 2mm. Target was 265mm x4x2 ,probably turn out to be too tight on speed check and will have to resort to cutting up my next size up solid silicone funnel as 250mm is the max,outer ring, for those collapsible funnels

Reply to
N_Cook