Convert a 45 RPM record to Metric

The old 45 RPM (revolutions per minute) vinyl records were called 45's by everyone who had them.

If we were using a metric system at that time, would they still be called 45 rpm, or would there be some metric numbers used instead?

I was having this discussion with a few people and no one knew the answer..... (Personally, I think they would still be 45 rpm, but I could be wrong).

Reply to
oldschool

I think they would be 4.5 drpm.

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

What does the "d" stand for? Is it "D"ecca?

Reply to
oldschool

No difference at all.

Cursitor Doom

Revolutions per minute remain revolutions per minute in the old or new currency. Minutes and revolutions are neither metric nor SAE, nor Whitworth for that matter. all of them would count turns per time period the same.

There are also 45 rpm records of several diameters, to further confuse the issue for you.

But, each one revolves on the platter forty-five (45) turns per minute (60 seconds).

Note that in common use, RCA-base records were called 78s. Even though Edison discs were, most typically, 84s. LPs (33.3) were sometimes called "33s" but mostly LPs.

I suspect that those who were victims of your discussions were not so much uncertain of the answer as unable to formulate said answer in a way you could understand.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

I stand by my answer: 4.5 drpm. Surely you have heard of Decca records!

:)

Reply to
Taxed and Spent

Owww. May vile vinyl vengeance visit itself upon you. :-)

Reply to
Dave Platt

snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote on 8/31/2017 12:00 PM:

0.75 rps of course! I think I would call them 3/4 rips for short.
--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

0.75 revs per second if you want to be completely non-SI about it?

Adrian C
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

er, non-non-SI ...

--
Adrian C
Reply to

Depending on your usage of the info it might be 0.75*(2pi) or

4.712388980385 radians per second.
--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

The metric part of the world also measures time in oddball units. I think we are stuck with it. Switching to a new system would be essentially insurmountable.

In the SI unit system, however, the unit for angular velocity is radians per second. 45 RPM is a touch over 4.7 radians per second.

--
RoRo
Reply to

The French for a time tried decimal time where there were 10 hours in a day and 100 minutes in an hour. So in decimal minutes, or dm, it would be

64.8 rpdm or 6.48 drpdm.
Reply to
Mark Storkamp

Radians/sec. was the unit I assumed it would be, but I didn't bother with the calculation

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Many decades ago, my father bought at an auction a wind-up gramophone with a collection of records, some of which were old Columbia 80-rpm discs.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I prefer furlongs per fortnight (measured at the outer edge, of course).

Since records can vary in diameter, this would require having at least one reliable reference standard for the industry to work from. Like the classic metric standards for length and weight, it should be of a stable, noncorroding metal, kept in an inert atmosphere in either Paris or Greenwich.

Gives new meaning to the term "platinum record", doesn't it?

Reply to
Dave Platt

Nearly, the second being the standard unit of time. They would be 0.75Hz.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Dave Platt wrote on 8/31/2017 5:48 PM:

lol

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

282.743339999999 radians per minute.

Regards,