cdrom reader repair hint : door doesn't open

Hello, I am trying to repair a cdrom reader LG 52X MAX (GOLDSTAR Model : CRD-8522B) Which problem is that door can't open : it seems blocked but if I manually help with a metal wire through de hole it opens correctly , and when fully opened it seems to close again in few seconds ; then in order to make the cd readable I have to push a bit on the door; I have fully opened the mechanics and I have not noticed nothing special that would be wrong : could you give me hints about such a failure which I have noticed happens often on cdrom reader. could it be an electronical problem ? if so what ? what do you advise me to do? I thank you for any hint, If you have interesting links that explain cdrom repair, I am interested, Matthieu

Reply to
Matthieu Benoit

Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at

Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed. If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be activated when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or just sit there.

Micahel

Reply to
Michael Black

Along the line of what Michael said, the switches often do not close properly if the mechanics don't fully reach the expected end of their travel. There are gears and pulleys that may be obstructed or dirty, or even have a loose drive belt, and not fully reach their fully open or closed point. Open the drive and I think you will see what I mean.

Reply to
Ken

Thank you very much both for your explainations, owing to what is written above I have succeeded to repair the unit by replacing the gear and pulley in the right position (just pick it off and pick it in), verify the belt and now it works fine, also eliminated dust. thank you very much, Matthieu

Reply to
Matthieu Benoit