About Laptop Monitors

I'm planning to buy a Laptop. Most of the monitor while seeing movies, when i view from some angle other than straight angle, i see the movie like a negative. I dont see it properly. Im looking for a laptop display in which we can from any angle.

I like DELL laptops and the only reason im not going for it is the monitor. What is this parameter called? Please give me some input on this.

Thanks, Selva

Reply to
Selva

Viewing angle, and it's an intrinsic fault with LCD displays, some are a bit better than others, but none will look as good from the side as they do straight on. It's the price to pay for a flat, low power display with current technology.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's called viewing angle. And there are two of them. There is a horizontal angle that's symmetrical.

The vertical viewing angle is smaller and optimized for viewing from ABOVE or BELOW. It's called six-o'clock or 12-o'clock viewing position. You get either, not both. A TFT will be much better than a DSTN display off angle. And TFT technology as gotten much better in recent years.

If you do the research, you'll find that there's a standard way of setting up the measurement, but that interpretation varies widely. It's like the TV commercial that claims their shampoo will give you 2X the highlights. What the heck does that mean??? It means marketing people are smart and buyers are gullible.

Don't blame it on DELL. They use different vendor's displays in different models. It's not unusual to find different displays in the SAME model. You don't normally see viewing angle specs on consumer products. And if you did, they'd probably all have about the same numbers...but some might have 2X the highlights in the marketing info...

'Bout the only way to tell if you're gonna like the looks of the display is to look at the display. mike

--
Wanted, Serial cable for Dell Axim X5 PDA.
with links.  Delete this sig when replying.

Do they even make DSTN displays for laptops anymore? I've got a couple of fairly low end machines that are TFT.

Reply to
James Sweet