CCFL tester for laptop and monitors.

I have been running across a lot of laptops and monitors lately which appear to have bad CCFL tubes. a lot of these seem to have similar connectors.

I have been thinking of constructing some kind of test ballast so i can attempt to power up the tubes to see if its the tubes or the ballast that is bad. Researching some replacement bulbs for laptops,there seems to be a lot of different tube types.

Anybody got any ideas on how to build one? Does it need variable strike and run voltages just for test purposes?

What i want to do is put the tester on the bulb socket at the ballast and power up the bulb to see if it lights ok before completely dismantling the LCD which can be a real pain on some of them.

bob

bob urz

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 11:07:57 -0600, bob urz put finger to keyboard and composed:

I don't know how this in-circuit CCFL tester (HR-TL1040) works but ...

"HR ELECTRONICA launches the first CCFL tester lamp (sic) for LCD TV"

Cost is 80 Euros (USD112).

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar