"Recycle" Laptop Monitor

Sorry if this is the wrong newsgroup. I'm asking because I don't know much about electronics.

My 4+ year old laptop died recently. (Dell Inspiron 8100.) But the screen is only about 1.5 years old and it still works. It has 1600x1200 resolution and I'd really like to "recycle" the notebook screen into an LCD monitor to connect to a desktop PC. Here is the link to the manuals.

I found this article googling. "DIY LCD TV(monitor)"

The author mentions a "converter" and an "inverter" and has pictures of them.

If I can figure out what to order I'm sure I can put the pieces together. I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Cheaper to sell the dead laptop for parts on E-bay and buy a real monitor.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

1600x1200 LCDs ain't cheap, and besides, I want to do this for the fun of it. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

And the standard answer, this being a pretty common question, is that the LCD screens of laptops are generally not a standalone unit. They require circuitry that's on the laptop motherboard to operate, and what that circuitry is varies with the actual LCD display.

Thus, one is generally not dealing with a universal solution. And one has to start by figuring out what to do, and then figure out how to do it. Since many of those laptop displays are not things generallya available, getting the information may be troublesome.

IN virtually all cases, there is no off the shelf solution.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Fun is one thing, but it will still be a cobbled together piece of junk, while someone may really need the display to fix their computer. BTW, my current monitor is 2048 * 1536 CRT with dual SVGA inputs that I got for free. I gave a way a working 17" Lucky Star LCD monitor recently, rather than pay $70 for the OEM power supply. I have a 17" Liquid Video that needs the power supply, as well. I think that i can find the plug and put it on an existing supply. there are two or three more LCD monitors laying around the house that need repaired.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida