PICtutor Send Program, Help!

Can anyone help?. My father purchased a PICtutor deluxe board many years
ago. He has now decided at the age of 77 to have a go at microcontroller
programming.

We are using the PICtutor Send.exe software, on a XP machine, unfortunately
it does not work.
I have searched the net for info and have found a site which states that the
original send program does not work on Win2000/NT unfortunately the link to
the patch is broken.
Can anyone post XP compatible send program? or solution to problem?

Thanks

Ian Appo

Re: PICtutor Send Program, Help!

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 23:20:45 -0000, Ian Appleton

The term PICtutor is a bit generic - it would be useful to know just who's
development board it is.
Microchip Technology have free software for download, with tutorials, but
you need to be sure it will be compatible with your board - the older
boards tended to be parallel port jobs, so obviously software with only a
USB or RS232 driver will be pretty useless.

Chech the silk screening on the board for any make/model ID and determine
the interface type, then check with either the manufacturer or goto the
Microchip Technologies site.

Alternatively, have you tried to run it in compatibility mode? - type
'compatibility' into xp help search.

I really think that it would be advantageous though to download a suitable
version of more up to date software if you can, as it will give support
for more recent PIC chips.

Alan.

Re: PICtutor Send Program, Help!

Do what I do. I have accumulated a bunch of old "outdated" laptops. I
keep the "legacy" OSs on them and the software that works with them. I
get them for nothing at my town's recycling center. Stops the nonsense
of constantly updating software to meet MS's whim.

Al

Re: PICtutor Send Program, Help!

Ian,

You could use the VMWare's free VMware Player to install a Winodow 98 or
even DOS (or Free DOS) to run the program.  Just remember to enable the
serial port for this VM Machine you are going to use, since it is not
enable by default.

Get the VMware Player here - http://www.vmware.com/products/player /

I had use the similar method on some very old development tool I need to
use.

Hope the above could help you.

Regards,

Mcken Mak, CISSP, ISSAP, CISM